Options

Which out of these 2 is best Heat Sink and Fan

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I have on my main PC a Zalman fan like this

http://images.digitalmedianet.com/2006/Week_49/h3oak4ud/story/zalman300.jpg

No a while back I bought a coolermaster V8 but never got round to putting it on because the Zalman one seemed a lot better than stock

Collermaster one here

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/product/2869/intro01.jpg

Any help would be great

Comments

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unless you are overclocking or have a case with poor ventilation the stock one would be fine most of the time. Otherwise try both and look at temperatures and use the one that cools the best.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

I have Q6600 on a P5Q deluxe so plan to go from 2.4 to 3.6, and I thought the Zalman wasnt a stock fan?
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a V8 on a Q6600, Room Temp = 93 degrees Fahrenheit, core temperatures is around 125 degrees @ 2% load.
    The V8 is HUGE, and I am sure you noticed that you have a knob to change fan speed, this will affect the cooling power.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Run some benchies with the Zalman on. Then swap it out for the V8. Run the same tests.
    Use the winner.

I didn't use air this time because I was getting tired of those behemoths occupying my case. I went with an H100. Great temps and quiet as well. (i7-3770K@4.5)
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like Zalman fans, but not the model you're showing. Those blow the air down on the motherboard which just heats up the board. It's better to get one that'll blow it through the fan and out the case. This is what I have in my system:
    Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-R 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Red LED

The light is barely visible, which is unfortunate because my entire case glows blue and I wanted a nice red light to be glowing from the CPU....it does glow somewhat, but you really have to look in the case. Anyway, aesthetics aside, it is really quiet and much better than the stock fan, though I'm not doing any overclocking.

Don't know much about the V8 other than it is huge and heavy. Be careful when moving your PC with that behemoth mounted on it!