Options

Rack for cisco routers/switches...

synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
Hey guys. I plan on ordering a certification kit some time in the next week but I want to get a rack to put them in otherwise I'll have to stack them somewhere on the floor or move my other laptop off my desk with some other things. Where is the cheapest place to order a basic rack big enough to hold a Cisco Dual 2501 16/16 Routers & Dual 2950 Switches and maybe an extra slot for something I might get in the future.
Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks I'll check it out.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What kit are you looking at?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Hey. I haven't made a final decision yet on which one to get. I'm uncertain to which one would be best for regular ICND1 & ICND2 certifications. I narrowed it down to 3:

CertificationKits $269.99

CertificationKits - $204.99

CertificationKits - $324.99

I think the cheapest one that has both routers and a switch is the $204.99 one. I figured it'd be worthwhile to get a kit that has both routers and at least one switch. What would you suggest?
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    You might actually find it worth while spending the time looking on ebay for individual gear. In most cases it will pay off and save you money.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    That seems expensive, go on ebay and buy individual bits. Those routers run IOS 12.3 not 12.4 as well.

I still don't see the point in buying 2 routers either as you need 3 for routing protocols.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I just looked really fast on eBay for some good deals for you and I put this together.
    Cisco 2950 @ $29.99 a piece Cisco WS-C2950-24 24x 10/100 Fast Ethernet Autosensing Switch Used 0746320454498 | eBay
    Cisco 2611XM with max ram and flash @ $103.00 a piece. This will run IOS 12.4T with no hassles plus it has an extra Ethernet port. Cisco CISCO2611XM Router Fast Shipping Qnty in stock | eBay

If you got two of the 2950s and one 2611XM you will only spend $163 and get a WAY better deal. The pre built kit are normally always going to be more expensive opposed to buying it piece by piece.

Edit: I just saw this listing. It is for a 2611XM with max flash but 96 mb ram at $59.99 + Shipping. Hell you could buy 3 of those and two 2950s and spend about 240 + shipping which is also a great deal. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-2611-XM-2-Port-10-100-Wired-Network-Router-Cisco2611XM-2600-Series-/300763768838?pt=US_Wired_Routers&hash=item4606eae806

I use a skeletek 16u rack and it is built great. If you do not want to get a rack that size there is also something similar to this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/On-Stage-Stands-RS7030-Table-Top-Rack-Stand-12U-Tabletop-Rack-Stand-/120881625238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c251b3896
    Hope this helps.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Remember though with ebay products, how is someone going to get 12.4 without access to cisco's downloadables?
    There's no information on what IOS would be on these.

I'd say buy a small setup to start with. Get the IOS, and copy them over onto an ebay one.

Yes. You can copy IOS files over to like-products. I would say go this route, avoid having to remember different commands that won't help you. Buy a switch from CertKits (They keep they're upto date), copy the IOS onto an ebay switch. Enjoy saving money.

Actually, I think they include a copy of the IOS on a disc. That by itself is worth the price to me :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Remember though with ebay products, how is someone going to get 12.4 without access to cisco's downloadables?
    We all manage :p
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    So I need to buy 3 routers? Which models would you suggest? Also order one switch from certkits and the second one from ebay?
  • Options
    Thanks man I'll check em out :). I saw that router it looked a little worse for wear but not bad. I still want to see if I can find a better deal. I can get any version of IOS I have them all on a drive somewhere. For now I just want to find a good deal on a router so maybe I can do some of the CCENT labs on it for ICND1. Although if I need 3 like someone said I'm not sure if it will be worth buying just one. Anyone got a decent cisco router for sale? It just needs to work good be up to date and have everything in working order.
    Fp
    Patel128 wrote: »
    I just looked really fast on eBay for some good deals for you and I put this together.
    Cisco 2950 @ $29.99 a piece Cisco WS-C2950-24 24x 10/100 Fast Ethernet Autosensing Switch Used 0746320454498 | eBay
    Cisco 2611XM with max ram and flash @ $103.00 a piece. This will run IOS 12.4T with no hassles plus it has an extra Ethernet port. Cisco CISCO2611XM Router Fast Shipping Qnty in stock | eBay

If you got two of the 2950s and one 2611XM you will only spend $163 and get a WAY better deal. The pre built kit are normally always going to be more expensive opposed to buying it piece by piece.

Edit: I just saw this listing. It is for a 2611XM with max flash but 96 mb ram at $59.99 + Shipping. Hell you could buy 3 of those and two 2950s and spend about 240 + shipping which is also a great deal. Cisco 2611-XM 2-Port 10/100 Wired Network Router Cisco2611XM 2600 Series | eBay

I use a skeletek 16u rack and it is built great. If you do not want to get a rack that size there is also something similar to this. On-Stage Stands RS7030 Table Top Rack Stand (12U Tabletop Rack Stand) | eBay
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    synseq wrote: »
    Although if I need 3 like someone said I'm not sure if it will be worth buying just one.
    I would echo the suggestion that, if you plan to use a hardware lab for your studies, to have at least three routers and three switches available. It really does help with learning routing and switching protocols. If you can't swing that, consider using a simulator/emulator for your studying. It would be a shame to spend this dough, only to be at a disadvantage on the exam and interviews. ;)

(If you did buy a single device, you could use it to learn to console/aux ports, to upgrade the IOS, and to reset a los password--an augment to the CCNA curriculum.)
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    12u rack from amazon.com is $30 shipped
    3x 2950 switches on ebay as little as 20-25 each
    3x 26xx series routers on ebay, as little as $20-25 each

couple wic1t or wic2t serial cards for the routers 20-30each
    serial cables 6-8each
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.