Options

Wol is not Wol'ing

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I am trying to set up WOL from my phone and laptop, will soon be putting 4 PC's in my loft so wol'ing will kind of be essential

My P5Q Deluxe in BIOS is set to Wake up by PCI and PCIE devices

In device manager properties for Marvell Yukon PCI-E it is also set to Allow this device to wake the computer and Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer

Wake-Up Capabilities are set to Magic Packet & Pattern

I have set up a Port Forward on my Virgin Super hub giving it IP 192.168.0.15 which is that of my first PC and port 7 - 9 is what I chose

Has anyone got this working from an Android phone, I am not trying to do this over WAN yet just whilst my phone is on my LAN

Cheers for the help

Comments

• Options
    mayhem87mayhem87 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm a little confused as why the hub has a IP and what its purpose is?

When i setup WOL for my lab server i was using a application that requested the MAC address of the PC i wanted to power on and it would send the magic packet to the system and the system would boot. Also I had to make sure my NIC supported WOL. There seems to be plenty of WOL apps on the marketplace but I have to admin I have never tried this from the phone only my laptop.
  • Options
    I am trying to get it working on both but for now either will suffice

I am now reading that Virgin Superhub clears its ARP cache so its recommended buying a router with DD-WRT or for example a D-Link DIR-615 (funny cos I have several of these) flashed with DD-WRT firmware

I am surprised that WOL is this complicated?

IP of my Superhub is 192.168.0.1 cos its my Gateway, other people have said they got WOL working without haveing to setup any Port forward rules

Also I have now static reserved all my IP's to my PC's within the Superhub itself which I suppose is best practice anyway
  • Options
    CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    WOL operates at layer 2 and if on the same LAN shouldn't requite anything special other than a card/motherboard with WOL capabilities. Most build in network cards support it, but with external cards you sometimes need a cable connecting to the motherboard that signals the board to wake up. You should only need to port forward once outside of your Lan (Never tried this). I use it at work for 200+ workstations and all work fine (with exception to the ones with external cards that don't have a cable). Although in my environment I have had to enable directed broadcasts to support the crossing of layer 3 boundaries. You don't need static IP's on the PC's as they don't have an IP whilst shut down and as I previously said, its a layer 2 frame that wakes the machine (although it will make the remote management easier).

hope this helps
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]
  • Options
    Am thinking that I may need to run some flick switches down from my loft and into each room and maybe a small LED daisy'd off the front panel connector as an indicator in each room cos all 4 PC's will need to be turned on without getting into the loft, lot more work than WOL but the dam thing wont turn on my PC!! grrr
  • Options
    ok so lets break this down by first doing the LAN part. Is everything going to be in the same subnet in your house? If so you should be able to download a magic packet program for free and put in the MAC address of the computer you are wanting to wake-up and press send.

not sure if we are allow to post outside links but this is the program i used.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/woly/
  • Options
    mayhem87 wrote: »
    ok so lets break this down by first doing the LAN part. Is everything going to be in the same subnet in your house? If so you should be able to download a magic packet program for free and put in the MAC address of the computer you are wanting to wake-up and press send.

not sure if we are allow to post outside links but this is the program i used.

Woly | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

That is as easy as I thought it was going to be

Every PC is on same subnet, gateway is my Virgin Super hub which is also my wireless device that my Android phone connects to

Just tried your link, nothing!!
  • Options
    hmm try going on sourceforge and looking up woly or just type WOL and it will bring up tons of applications for it.

*just tried my link and it brings me to the page wonder why yours wont. should bring you to the page to download it.
  • Options
    mayhem87 wrote: »
    hmm try going on sourceforge and looking up woly or just type WOL and it will bring up tons of applications for it.

*just tried my link and it brings me to the page wonder why yours wont. should bring you to the page to download it.

Sorry you misunderstood, I installed WOLy and it never woke up my PC :D

Again I get same kind of response that I do from my phone, could it be my super hub?
  • Options
    dont really think its the super hub but never know.

"In device manager properties for Marvell Yukon PCI-E it is also set to Allow this device to wake the computer and Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer

Wake-Up Capabilities are set to Magic Packet & Pattern"

What about the NIC settings? under the network adapter there should be a tab for power management is it enabled there? Only reason asking is that I'm used to seeing Marvell for sata stuff and not nic related stuff.

Other then that i guess you can always take a packet capture while the pc is running to see if it is hitting your card. i have never tried to capture a magic packet so no clue what it will come up as but i know other layer 2 protocols show up so this one should as well.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When the computer is off, do you see the activity lights on the nic at all? Have you checked the bios of each machine?

EDIT: Also, have you tried a packet capture from the machine you want to wol? If you see the packet arrive, you can rule out the hub as the problem.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't forget - the WOL magic packet is not routable so if you go through your Virgin router you are maybe out of luck.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Don't forget - the WOL magic packet is not routable so if you go through your Virgin router you are maybe out of luck.

You can run WOL across networks. I forget if you need any thing set up at the remote end but use to do it years back. Most WOL Magic packet generators ask for an IP address and mac address.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Qord wrote: »
    When the computer is off, do you see the activity lights on the nic at all? Have you checked the bios of each machine?

EDIT: Also, have you tried a packet capture from the machine you want to wol? If you see the packet arrive, you can rule out the hub as the problem.

There are no lights coming from my NICS when powered down

And as Mayhem suggested I will check that when I get home

Thanks for the help

Lee
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    no light suggest does suggest no network wake up capability (or not enabled in bios) :)

WOL - Magic Packet Sender - Free Windows Software

this application has a nice feature that you can set it to listen for packets as well as send. so you install it on the remote machine you can set it to listen while the machine is turned on and see if the packets get through, and what mac address it is set to wake up.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Magic Packet is being received on the target PC

So the PC is the issue

Hmm

Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, this is selected so could it be shutting this down when I turn off PC, when I remove the tick the 2 options underneath it grey out?

Bios is set and so is this, grr
  • Options
    were there any power options under the NIC settings?
  • Options
    On this page here if you follow the link I have all tick boxes ticked

http://www.demogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/image14.png

Cheers

Lee
  • Options
    didnt know it was wireless to wireless not sure if that matters tho.. I would try to uncheck the top so the system doesn't turn off the card. Other then that I'm out of ideas. Does your motherboard nic support WOL?
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is there a bios setting for "deep sleep" or something similar? Had this issue at work on about 950 (dell) machines. I learned just last week that this was stopping receipt of the packet, which was our biggest initial hurdle to getting a wol solution working.