Options

Passed ICND1 today

jbm45jbm45 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a long time reader but never post. I wanted to say that this is a great resource for obtaining info and asking questions.

I passed with a score of 850 today. Not the best but it will do.

I have the CBT nugget videos and read Odom's book. I used this forum to perfect my subnetting technique.

I will be cracking open ICND2 book next week. Just need a break plus school starts this week.

Thanks to everyone who posts on this forum.

Comments

• Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Breaks are always good. Give you mind a rest. Keep the content fresh though. Good luck on the upcoming ICND2.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, jbm45! Good luck on the ICND2 icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Congrats man. I just passed A+ and I am on a break too for a week now till school starts. I understand what you mean :)
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jbm45 wrote: »
    I am a long time reader but never post. I wanted to say that this is a great resource for obtaining info and asking questions.

I passed with a score of 850 today. Not the best but it will do.

I have the CBT nugget videos and read Odom's book. I used this forum to perfect my subnetting technique.

I will be cracking open ICND2 book next week. Just need a break plus school starts this week.

Thanks to everyone who posts on this forum.

If I was a betting man, I would bet..I bet the CBT Nuggets and CD questions were MOST valuable and Odom mostly served to obfuscate and befuddle you? What did Odom really give you in order to get that "I got this.." feeling. He didn't induce it, Jeremy did but maybe it was the CD only. We will never know..*snarky look* Congrats.

Patel128 wrote: »
    Congrats man. I just passed A+ and I am on a break too for a week now till school starts. I understand what you mean :)

No break man, Study is like a rapid-fire game where repetition and duration matter most. Get stated on Entry-level networking while you still can before it gets too difficult in later revisions of the CCNA exam!
    Break, what breaks, no breaks because you're taking a break every moment or minute you are not hopping on CCNA exam objectives. Effort is what is so scarce and breaks are not so scarce. Effort is scarce these days.
  • Options
    synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    You are right about that. I don't know maybe its me but most people these days are incredibly lazy. I don't agree you need to be constantly hitting the books but you need to stay on it. Even taking a break from it for a month or two can result in forgotten information. It can be beneficial to take study breaks though to give your mind a chance to absorb the material you just went over. 5-10 minutes every hour.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • Options
    I agree that taking month long breaks may not be the best, but a week after obtaining your cert is not being lazy one bit. If I never took a little break to relax I would be completely burnt out all the time. Then again we are all different.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    I never meant to infer you were lazy man. I was talking about society in general. I was just saying you don't need to constantly study and breaks are necessary. Good job on your pass.
    I agree that taking month long breaks may not be the best, but a week after obtaining your cert is not being lazy one bit. If I never took a little break to relax I would be completely burnt out all the time. Then again we are all different.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations! Enjoy you week of downtime, and good luck on your next journey. :)
  • Options
    Oh yeah I knew you weren't. I was just giving myself as an example. I agree with what you are saying about studying.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on your pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Illumanati wrote: »
    If I was a betting man, I would bet..I bet the CBT Nuggets and CD questions were MOST valuable and Odom mostly served to obfuscate and befuddle you? What did Odom really give you in order to get that "I got this.." feeling. He didn't induce it, Jeremy did but maybe it was the CD only. We will never know..*snarky look* Congrats.

No break man, Study is like a rapid-fire game where repetition and duration matter most. Get stated on Entry-level networking while you still can before it gets too difficult in later revisions of the CCNA exam!
    Break, what breaks, no breaks because you're taking a break every moment or minute you are not hopping on CCNA exam objectives. Effort is what is so scarce and breaks are not so scarce. Effort is scarce these days.

I agree with your first statement above. I have a friend who said he only used CBT nuggets, Packet Tracer and the questions from the Odom book. He did a lot of labbing. Anyway I guess whatever works for your situation. :)
  • Options
    The IT GuyThe IT Guy Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Keep up the great workicon_cheers.gif.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! Goodluck on ICND2!
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□

Actually, I wanted to clarify that I would definitely take breaks profusely but my comment about studying rapid-fire and for duration was simply meant to be a video game analogy where your interest is so high that you can play "rapid-fire" style for hours on end meaning have the *same* interest and enthusiasm in this ccna even though this isnt a game or movie you rent and to do the same for "bursts" of time in study even if it means you have to pretend to have fun! A lot of it is just tricking your mind because none if it is hard or rocket science at all!
    beach5563 wrote: »
    I agree with your first statement above. I have a friend who said he only used CBT nuggets, Packet Tracer and the questions from the Odom book. He did a lot of labbing. Anyway I guess whatever works for your situation. :)

I believe it. A lot of members here have a LOT of knowledge through general IT work experience and the hardest thing is to be aware of what you already know before you start so you don't waste your time reading things you already know. These study guides which are 800 to 1000 pages are for the brand new students with no background in IT, imo. Those with experience can go straight to the questions and use the books as reference to refer to when you get stuck.
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Illumanati wrote: »
    Actually, I wanted to clarify that I would definitely take breaks profusely but my comment about studying rapid-fire and for duration was simply meant to be a video game analogy where your interest is so high that you can play "rapid-fire" style for hours on end meaning have the *same* interest and enthusiasm in this ccna even though this isnt a game or movie you rent and to do the same for "bursts" of time in study even if it means you have to pretend to have fun! A lot of it is just tricking your mind because none if it is hard or rocket science at all!

I believe it. A lot of members here have a LOT of knowledge through general IT work experience and the hardest thing is to be aware of what you already know before you start so you don't waste your time reading things you already know. These study guides which are 800 to 1000 pages are for the brand new students with no background in IT, imo. Those with experience can go straight to the questions and use the books as reference to refer to when you get stuck.

Exactly I mean I have taken a few cisco classes in the past and have been in IT since 1999 mostly teleco/tech support stuff. I will probably just use CBT nuggets, Packet Tracer and use the boson tests to fill in the gaps maybe.
  • Options
    Cubuntu28Cubuntu28 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□