CCNA Lab Kit

synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
Hey. I think I finally decided on what devices I am going to buy for my lab. After reading tons of stuff and I owe thanks to users on here who gave me suggestions. I'll be going back and giving rep points to everyone who helped I appreciate it icon_cool.gif. If you have any advice or suggestions on something I should add, change, or not get then please by all means let me know. I was looking for the best deals so I don't have to spend a ton of money putting this lab together. Anyway here is what I was thinking about getting:

*Cisco 2611XM Router - supports 12.4 IOS, supports SDM(I hear it's no longer on the CCNA exam but I plan on taking the CCNA Security exam after so it won't hurt to have it), 10/100 100Mbps, built in transceiver, 2 FE ports, 2 WAN slots, 4 port, 128mb ram / 32mb Flash. Would that be enough memory to run IPV6 labs as well?

*2610XM Router - supports 12.4, sdm capable, 32mb flash/128mb ram 10/100 100Mbps, 1 port

I'm not sure what differences besides the number of ports these two routers have aside from the price that is. Going off Ebay the 2611XM router is 15-50 dollars more expensive and in some cases even more than that so if I can just order the one Cisco 2611XM and order a 2610XM that will help save some money.

Last but not least a Cisco 2950 Switch. I know they suggest getting 3 routers and 3 switches for maximum benefit but unless I find a good packaged deal on that I'm going to stick with the 2 routers & 1 switch for now.

What else do I need to buy? Certification kits website ships everything with their routers but on ebay most of the time it just comes with the power cable and in some auctions a WIC-T1 card. I need to know which cables I need to order and also if I should order any of those WIC-T1 cards.

I also found a cheapo rack on certificationkits website it's from home use and it is only like 30 bucks icon_cool.gif.

If you guys have any suggestions on maybe a different model router I should be getting to save money or maybe one to upgrade let me know. This site is great. A place full of fellow computer/networking professionals offering help, guidance, and feedback to anyone who needs help. icon_cheers.gif
Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    synseq wrote: »
    I know they suggest getting 3 routers and 3 switches for maximum benefit but unless I find a good packaged deal on that I'm going to stick with the 2 routers & 1 switch for now. What else do I need to buy?
    Since I would not expect you to master the CCNA material or even meet the passing criteria using only the above, my suggestion is still a good simulator such as Packet Tracer or Netsim. ;)
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    Ya you are right. In for a penny in for a pound. So 1 Cisco 2611XM router, 2 Cisco 2610XM routers, and 3 Cisco 2950 Switches. Just need the cables and a rack and im good to go.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    well, there you go =)
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    That sounds good. You will also need a serial adapter for the console cable. If you have money left over in the budget I would suggest you add on a nonXM 2600 and slap in a N/M 4AS. Then you can put in Wic-2t's in the 2600XMs for a frame relay setup. You will also need the DTE/DCE to connect the wic's to the N/M 4AS, and interconnect the wic's together.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    That's a great idea. This is the type of input I like. Thanks I think I'm going to do that. a nonXM 2600 is cheaper and I'll be able to buy that other stuff for the same amount of money I was going to spend on the XM or close to it. I've seen some of these auctions where the routers came with the wan interface cards so I'll make sure to get those. Do you have instant messenger of some kind? I'd like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.
    Patel128 wrote: »
    That sounds good. You will also need a serial adapter for the console cable. If you have money left over in the budget I would suggest you add on a nonXM 2600 and slap in a N/M 4AS. Then you can put in Wic-2t's in the 2600XMs for a frame relay setup. You will also need the DTE/DCE to connect the wic's to the N/M 4AS, and interconnect the wic's together.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I do not use any kind in instant messenger really. You can PM me if you have any questions though.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • union122union122 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What rack at your planning on ?