Todd Lammle CCNA + ICND1 Exam

swish45swish45 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I have purchased Todd Lammle's 7th Edition CCNA study guide with the goal of sitting the ICND1.

My question is, if i have purchased the CCNA and not the CCENT guide that he has published, at what point/chapter do i look at booking for the ICND1 exam and start reviewing material that is covered in the ICND1.

Thank You.

Comments

• Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I searched and a user (MosGuy) on another thread said
    For the 7th edition here is the break down

ICND1 chapters: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16

ICND2 chapters: 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

CCNA composite, obviously all chapters.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    See here for the latest updates & errata for his book -
    Errata and updates for my 7th edition - Lammle Forum

Here's an Excel spreadsheet to use with his book -
    7th Edition Answer Sheet - Lammle Forum

If you have Packet Tracer, you get get some bonus labs from him also, see here -
    Where to get Bonus material for my 7th Edition - Lammle Forum

hth
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Thanks for the errata
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ltat42a wrote: »

If you have Packet Tracer, you get get some bonus labs from him also, see here -

hth
    Those bonus labs only work on a recent version of packet tracer so if you're using an older version get an update if you can.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Those bonus labs only work on a recent version of packet tracer so if you're using an older version get an update if you can.

^ This I can attest to.

I also would like to say Todd makes a great book and he is a great guy, I had the pleasure of metting him once. I think he does an excellent job of explaining network technology in a way less experienced people can understand. I highly recommend this book to anybody studying CCNA.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ltat42a wrote: »

hth

That is a 800 page tome you are referring and for the viewers out there, so could you be perhaps blindly acquiescing to promoting a 800 page hen Sybex Lammel tome when he has a 233 exam review that is much neater and easier to get traction with and completing in a reasonable time where you don't lose interest?!?!

I think this is where a gargantuan amount of those interested never get to exam-readiness stage is they lose interest with these unusually thick 800-1000 page tomes which should be used strictly for beginner with no IT background because they have Exam cram books dedicated strictly for knowing what will be on it in a concise manner in the 200-300 page range. Remember guys, a lot of the test is amount knowing basic definitions of which there are 100s of them so a lion share of that info can be summarized. It's only the contextual information like labs or things that have to configure like a mass protocols for both routers and routing is where you need a study guide, imo.

Do you need bonus labs if there are already CCENT labs on it?

Patel128
    user-offline.png
    Senior Member reputation_pos.png avatar281741_1.gif

Today 12:11 AM #2
    I searched and a user (MosGuy) on another thread said
    For the 7th edition here is the break down

ICND1 chapters: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16

ICND2 chapters: 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

CCNA composite, obviously all chapters.

That's a LOT of reading and/or stopping and starting! I'm exhausted just looking at the same book in my hand to feel what that many pages feels like!

• JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Illumanati - you are not making any sense? Are you saying the book is too big?

I guess you've never studied for MS certifications.... sometimes you CAN'T put everything in 200 pages as you are trying to say.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Illumanati,
    Are you interested in KNOWING the material or just the bare minimum to possibly pass an exam? There's a huge difference and it gets worse (better?) the higher in certs you go. One of the local colleges is part of the Cisco Net Academy. Book for CCNP Route is the FLG (976 pages). For CCNP Switch, the instructor says to get both the FLG (560 pages) and the OCG (504 pages) since there's some stuff that each leaves out. Could I get by with one or the other -- probably, but everybody has to make their own determination of where their money is better spent -- $50 for a decent book or $200 to take a test and possibly fail because they read a book that didn't cover everything in depth.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Illumanati wrote: »
    That's a LOT of reading and/or stopping and starting! I'm exhausted just looking at the same book in my hand to feel what that many pages feels like!
    That's not really a lot of reading for the two test route, to be honest.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know what you mean by big books. I thought that ICND2 was huge. Then, I got the CCNP:Route FLG. Even biggerer. I have CCNA Voice right between the two. It's so small, and cute!

d6fd8632.jpg

Don't focus on the pages: The amount of, or the fact it's a lot of black text and bleached paper. Take it one step at a time. Look at the pages as the means to understanding something new and exciting. Something that can net you a decent paying job. Chicks love CCNA-ers. ...If that's not motivation, I don't know what is.

I never needed to study in High School. I'm just learning how to study because all my teachers tested off of what they said. I could focus on what people say. But reading? Hell, I faked reading in school if I could get away with it.

Because of such, I've learned to tolerate reading ... somewhere within ICND2. I skimmed over much of ICND1, actually. It's not what I like to to do. I'd more than happily lab, and dig my hands into it. Get my nails dirty with dust, scraps on my knees, and goosebumps because the Server Room could be home to store Previously Used Hospital organs. (Rent out space for a new source of income?)

However my tolerating is quickly turning into "like". Because it's cheap and doesn't cost me 100 bucks per month.

...Studying... Ehhh. I'd rather know how to do it efficiently, and give me time to do other things - learning other things. Yeah, I don't like studying. But I do -Love- learning. This engineering stuff gets in your blood, and it's hard to get it out. I want to dig into MPLS, host a full small network - Wireless, ASA, even with a traffic generator! It's like SimCity... Minus the catchy summerisk tunes. Doo Doo Dodo Doo. Video Related.

In any event. Take it as it is. If you like IT, you're bound to read. You may be able to escape reading, but eventually you'll need to read. Whether that's policies, user documents, topologies, projects sheets, meeting notes... It's not all fun and games. But if you enjoy the topic, at the core, you'll find a way to get through it. You'll learn to come to terms that reading is a way to supplement your knowledge!

I was part of CCNA Academy back in the day, so I didn't mind skimming.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    didnt think wireless was on icnd2 :S

also STP is chapter 10 :S

i have the 7th edition is this out of date?

dave
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I have CCNA Voice right between the two. It's so small, and cute!

LOL~~!! haha, thanks for the laugh =D
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Chicks love CCNA-ers. ...

umm... really? TELL ME WHERE? =p

cb3dwa wrote: »
    didnt think wireless was on icnd2 :S

Wireless in not in the ICND2, that's just extra-curricular/supplementary material.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cb3dwa wrote: »
    i have the 7th edition is this out of date?

dave

No, the 7th edition is Mr Lammle's latest edition. I believe the latest print was April 2011.

hth