Ethernet Frame

hassantalal785hassantalal785 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
I read that to differentiate between Ethernet II and IEEE 802.3 we have to see the value of Length/Type Field . . If the two-octet value is equal to or greater than 0x0600 hexadecimal or 1536 decimal, then the contents of the Data Field are decoded according to the EtherType protocol indicated. Whereas if the value is equal to or less than 0x05DC hexadecimal or 1500 decimal then the Length field is being used to indicate the use of the IEEE 802.3 frame format.

What about the values in between 1536 and 1500 , i mean should it be 1 value and "greater than" and "less than" value with respect to that value should be use . Kindly elaborate the need to keep the 2 values apart .

Comments

• johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    I read that to differentiate between Ethernet II and IEEE 802.3 we have to see the value of Length/Type Field . . If the two-octet value is equal to or greater than 0x0600 hexadecimal or 1536 decimal, then the contents of the Data Field are decoded according to the EtherType protocol indicated. Whereas if the value is equal to or less than 0x05DC hexadecimal or 1500 decimal then the Length field is being used to indicate the use of the IEEE 802.3 frame format.

What about the values in between 1536 and 1500 , i mean should it be 1 value and "greater than" and "less than" value with respect to that value should be use . Kindly elaborate the need to keep the 2 values apart .

As wiki says, that range is undefined. And I guess in theory a frame with a value of that field will not appear. So, we don't need to worry about it.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What about the values in between 1536 and 1500
    The interpretation of those values is undefined according to Wikipedia (citing the standard).