Options

Motherboard problems..?

alphalixalphalix Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I have a bizard problem with my pc and a think this is my motherboard. When I press the power to boot my computer nothing happend. I cheked the power cord everything is well connected but my pc dont want to boot. So i swich the voltage of my power supply to 230 volt then I can boot my pc but I have a black screen on my monitor. When I put the voltage back to 150 volt it not boot.

PC spefication:
Motherboard ASUS; Processor Socket A for AMD® Athlon™ / Duron™ 550MHz CPU
Chipset ALi® M1647 266MHz FSB chipset with ALi® 1535D+ South Bridge
FSB 266/200MHz Front Side Bus

Any help Please icon_sad.gif

alex

Comments

• Options
    NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
    Could be the power supply as well. Unfortunatley, the only efficient way to troubleshoot wierd problems like that is to swap in and out peices until you have narrowed down the problematic part.
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    When up and you switch the voltage switch what turns on? Does the PS fan start? Does the CPU fan start? Do you hear the hard drive start?

Tap F8 during the start to go into the safe mode screen. Then choose use last known good configuration. If you don't get anything displayed on the screen when you hit F8 make sure all the connectors are on securely.

I would say it is the Power Suoply, Hard Drive, Video Card or CPU.

I have actually had this same exactly problem and the CPU fan went bad and caused the CPU to burn up so I had to replace the CPU and the CPU fan.

Thanks,
    JB
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    alphalixalphalix Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I changed my power supply and try it to another pc and it worked very well. But i have to switch the voltage back to 150 volt.

And When a put the another power supply on the pc, with 150 vlt it don't boot. I have to put de voltage up to 230 vlt. and the CPU fan and the pc fans work and a black sreen a my moniter. On the moniter, the little light usually green that tells you the monitor is on, That light stays yellow like the moniter don't even recieved the signal. I check it with another pc, and it's fine.

On the pc, I remove memories,unplug the Hard drive on the motherboad. when press the power nothing happend. Switch the voltage to 230vlt, the cpu fan and the pc fans work but nothing on the screen and no sound come from the pc. Usually when the memories are not there the pc make some noise.

I can't go the windows xp not even on the Bios.

Any help will be really appreciate
    Thanks a lot
    icon_sad.gif

PC spefication:
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds to me like the mobo is toast.
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Swap your hdd in another puter to make sure that it is good.
    I would say it is your mobo or processor. Is your video embedded on the board?
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    upgrade time my friend, that is your PC trying to tell you something, Duron 550 in a Slot A motherboard, send him home, his bags are packed, just send him home. :)
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    alphalix wrote:
    Hi
    I have a bizard problem with my pc and a think this is my motherboard. PC spefication:

Alex,

When did this problem first appear?

There is no need that I can think of for switching the voltage on your PS...Whatever Canada's voltage is I guessing it is 110/120v like in the US so leave it set there.

We had a bunch of storms the other day (thank goodness...good for rain as well as business ;) ). Did you maybe take a lightening strike?

Before switching everything around and mixing up what you tried and have not tried, start clean and make a list for yourself (ie. put everything back like it was when things 'worked').

1. Check voltage from the wall, the UPS (or surge protector...hopeing you have at least a surge protector) and PS.....what do you get for those readings?

2. Check your cords are all plugged in (simple, but you may not believe how many calls I still get for that one).

3. Does your PS have a switch on the rear (on/off) try both positions, perhaps it was bumped.

4. Visually inspect the internal hardware (do you see any 'blown' chips? Smoke damage areas from a blowout? Cracks?) Pay particular attention to Modem/NIC connections. Many times a surge can go through and blow those chips and damage the system that way).

5. Pull out all EVERYTHING EXCEPT: Mobo, CPU, RAM (1 stick), VIDEO

If you are able to post, then begin adding one card at a time and repeat.

If not, post back with what you do find out for the above questions. Certainly, if you are not getting a voltage reading from the wall....do not proceed ;) Likewise, if your Surge protector/UPS was damaged...change it before proceeding.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?