Failed CCNA

leckie55leckie55 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I took the CCNA composite exam recently and got a 749 score. Although extremely let down in my score I feel like my study material might have been the issue. I had recently just completed the four entry level CCNA courses through my community college and had I gotten the Todd Lammle CCNA study guide but I felt like the test questions in the book did not prepare me for the type of questions that were asked on the exam. I'm think about getting some actual testing software and paying for it but was wondering what other peoples suggestions were for either study materials or study software. I'm really kinda down about failing the test and would appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you don't have the knowledge to pass the exam a practice test isn't going to teach you. They are simply there to point out your weak spots. Your score break down from the exam should provide you with that information without spending anymore money!

I'd suggest you grab the Odom books and have a read through if you don't think the Lammle book had the level of detail you needed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you don't have the knowledge to pass the exam a practice test isn't going to teach you. They are simply there to point out your weak spots. Your score break down from the exam should provide you with that information without spending anymore money!

I'd suggest you grab the Odom books and have a read through if you don't think the Lammle book had the level of detail you needed.

Agreed. Look over your weaknesses.. hit em hard.. make them your strengths... make your strengths your strengths x2! Odom book is a little bit more detailed. It's not about failing it's about how you respond to failure. You sized it up, now double up your efforts and mow it down!
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Don't feel down, you NOW know your actual weaknesses. What were they if I might ask?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Meh, I failed it twice before I passed it. If you can post your break down I might be able to help you figure your weak spots
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you don't have the knowledge to pass the exam a practice test isn't going to teach you.

I agree somewhat - But I agree with the OP regarding his sentiment of not feeling prepared. I failed the CCNA because I was, quite frankly, blown away at how much more difficult the scenarios were in the actual exam compared to my test prep material. We aren't emotionless machines, and it is possible to become discouraged mid-exam, even scared to click the 'next' button when your'e getting hammered on after studying so hard. Especially when the test-taker has no practical experience.

To the OP: CCNA Exam Cram by Jeremy Cioara is a great resource to use pre-exam to get yourself in the rhythm of answering tough situation questions, and I think it prepares one for the difficulty level of the real thing.

Good luck!
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    The thing with the practice exams is you have to be careful not to accidently memorize the answers to the questions they are giving you. It might make you feel a little more prepared than you actually might be.

Remember to study not only why the answers are right but why the wrong ones are wrong as well.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    leckie55 wrote: »

1. I had recently just completed the four entry level CCNA courses through my community college and had I gotten the Todd Lammle CCNA study guide

2. but I felt like the test questions in the book did not prepare me for the type of questions that were asked on the exam.

3. I'm think about getting some actual testing software and paying for it but was wondering what other peoples suggestions were for either study materials or study software. I'm really kinda down about failing the test and would appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Did you do the tests on the CD? How did you feel after reading the Lammel book? 100%? 90%? 80% ?? The Cisco Press book will be a step up in detail but will you be able to take it all in at old Wendel's pace or will you "need a friend and one with lots of humor" like Jeremy Ciora?

1. Wasn't there anyway you could have read the Sybex book *at the same time* or concurrently with Cisco IV since that is the last class and taken your CCENT right after completing Cisco IV and studying Sybex at the same time?

2. a Colossal fail for the way the book explained concepts to you, imo. Same goes for the CD if it was used. You have served us all well in our quests so buck up bud!

3. This might be the key to holding and beating the CCNA down after really learning the technology so applying it becomes easier. The Cisco IV class should have helped in learning those technologies I would think. Maybe the last leg of the process is buying a really good exam bed (of questions)??
  • The IT GuyThe IT Guy Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    To the OP: CCNA Exam Cram by Jeremy Cioara is a great resource to use pre-exam to get yourself in the rhythm of answering tough situation questions, and I think it prepares one for the difficulty level of the real thing.

Good luck!
    Agreed! I used jeremy's exam cram practice question on my second try and passed. I know my stuff but i'm pretty weak at taking exams. My first exam timed out on me because I was too slow. I used jeremy cioara exam cram practice questions book to help get my time down. I felt the difficulty of the practice question were on par with the exam. I passed on my second try the following week. That was the only other rescource I had used since failing the week prior.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    The IT Guy wrote: »
    Agreed! I used jeremy's exam cram practice question on my second try and passed. I know my stuff but i'm pretty weak at taking exams. My first exam timed out on me because I was too slow. I used jeremy cioara exam cram practice questions book to help get my time down. I felt the difficulty of the practice question were on par with the exam. I passed on my second try the following week. That was the only other rescource I had used since failing the week prior.

That had to be a good feeling passing that on the 2nd run huh?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?