Options

About how many study hours for ICND2

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey guys,

I know questions like this are easily not very answerable but im not looking for a precise answer just about a estimation within 20 hours of what it would normally take.

I am planning to go full time study for septemeber and put in the 8 hours i would have spent at a job, studying. I did net+ with no net experience in 2 weeks, and ccent in 3 weeks, with about 5 hours a day at studying. I am a reasonably fast learner, and to this point have read vlan/stp/eigrp/ospf chapters twice and grasp them pretty well.. from todd lammele ccna book. I've written out a schedule and expect to hit my 8 hours easily... (hell i can commute 3 hours a day and spend 9 hours on site at a place that i really don't enjoy) so im not forseeing any issue. Between now and sept 1st i plan to hit 50 more hours of study..so 300 all together.. this sounds like massive overkill to me, i personally feel 100-120 would be enough.. any thoughts? I know its based on my retention, but even with less than average retention is aiming for 300 hours overkill for ICND2 alone?

Comments

• Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    An hour mark is impossible to say as everyone is different. Just get a good practice engine like Boson and shoot for 90% or better. That is really the only quantifiable indicator. Or just go with your gut feeling. I knew I was ready to take the test when I just couldn't study CCNA any more. I studied real hard to the point that the day of and day before my test all I did was game because I couldn't stomach another bit of Cisco knowledge.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i personally feel 100-120 would be enough.. any thoughts?
    120hrs is plenty for many, many people. I don't know you, though, nor how efficiently you study. I know someone who couldn't pass no matter how many hours she put in, who otherwise was a successful woman with aptitude in many other areas in her career and life.
  • Options
    Thanks for replies.

I think 100-120 is plenty for myself, I am logging my hours now, as kind of an experiment. I figured 100-120 hours based on everything I've studied for up to this point would be more than enough. Guess we will find out! Thanks for input though... I think more than anything its assurance people need that if they put in time they will be ready....I want to be productive with this month of study so I kind of aimed for a number that was tremendously high.

zrockstar Every time I give myself a test date and study in prep for it, about 1-2 weeks before test I feel so saturated that I push test up because the ideal of studying more makes me want to vomit... lol at that point I feel prepared and that no other amount of study Will help without experience test so I know what you mean... it's worked 4x now.. hopefully that same logic will work this time..
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    this is quite interesting imo. I always thought people logged hours just for fun, as a sense of achievement, or just plain'ol like statistics.

Now, to use hours to determine whether one is ready or not =S is quite variable, isn't it?

In any case =) good luck on your "hours" experiment, but more importantly, to your success at CCNA!
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    mapletune wrote: »
    this is quite interesting imo. I always thought people logged hours just for fun, as a sense of achievement, or just plain'ol like statistics.

Now, to use hours to determine whether one is ready or not =S is quite variable, isn't it?

In any case =) good luck on your "hours" experiment, but more importantly, to your success at CCNA!

Yeah, more than anything I'm frantic about having all this time at my disposal, and want to know if I can dedicate some hours to Security+, which I saw quoted somewhere could be attained with about 35 hours worth of dedicated study. Again I know that its a very inaccurate way for some people, but hey don't know till you ask :)

Thanks for your well wishes!