MCSA/MCITP SA 2008 end-of-life?

TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
So if I'm correct, MS will no longer offer the 2008 exams starting July 2013? So is it correct to assume that if I were you some how pass the 640 & 462 exams by July, but not have the 646 completed by then I would be screwed out of the opportunity to "upgrade" to MCSA 2012 and would have to start from scratch again? I basically have nothing but basic Active Directory admin experience and think it would take a miracle to study for, take & pass all 3 2008 exams by July 2013. Reason I'm not simply going for 2012 is because I already bought the 2008 MS pressbooks from earlier this year. icon_sad.gif
B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)

Comments

• pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Considering you have some AD Experience why dont you give it a shot. I am sure if you use the second shot vouchers (judiciously) and burn the midnight oil, it is possible.
    The reason I say this is because it takes a really long time to get the material you need to prepare for an exam. If you already have it then use it!!! Moreover material for 2012 is scarce on the net, apart from Technet and you will be better of trying your luck on 2008 R2 as of now.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Those exams will still be around after July 31, 2013.
    Per Microsoft's site at MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals
    This certification will no longer be available to earn as of July 31, 2013.
    Candidates who pass Exams 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 will continue to earn the
    MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification after the MCITP: Server Administrator on
    Windows Server 2008 certification is no longer available.

Which means after July 31, 2013 you can still take those exams, but you will no longer earn the MCITP:SA title. Instead you will only get the MCSA title.
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought along the same lines as you about a month ago. MrAgent is correct in that only the MCITP: Server Administrator title is going away. The new title is MCSA: Serve 2008. If you are able to complete everything by July 31, 2013 you will earn both certifications, MCITP:SA and MCSA: Server 2008 (and the MCTS certs as well).

Additionally, the entire MCITP:EA is going away. This certification only gets you the MCSA: Server 2008. If I remember correctly, any of these 3 certs offer the upgrade path to 2012.

Best of luck to you on your endeavors. I start studying for my MCITP:SA next week after I knock out the SSCP on Friday.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK, nice to know! And now that you mention it I remember reading that when this whole MCSA 2008 crap popped up a couple of months ago. icon_smile.gif
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • johnbarleyjohnbarley Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Those exams will still be around after July 31, 2013.
    Per Microsoft's site at MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

Which means after July 31, 2013 you can still take those exams, but you will no longer earn the MCITP:SA title. Instead you will only get the MCSA title.

MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

According to that link, all the MCITP certifications will be replaced. Is it worth it for a complete noob to start studying for one of them or would it be better to go for MCSA or something else?
    TheCudder wrote: »
    So if I'm correct, MS will no longer offer the 2008 exams starting July 2013? So is it correct to assume that if I were you some how pass the 640 & 462 exams by July, but not have the 646 completed by then I would be screwed out of the opportunity to "upgrade" to MCSA 2012 and would have to start from scratch again? I basically have nothing but basic Active Directory admin experience and think it would take a miracle to study for, take & pass all 3 2008 exams by July 2013. Reason I'm not simply going for 2012 is because I already bought the 2008 MS pressbooks from earlier this year. icon_sad.gif

How long have you been in IT? How many hours per week are you studying? I have no experience at all but quite a lot of time to study. Do you think I could pass all 3 exams by July 31 to earn the certification?

I don't want to go straight for the MCSA 2012 Server because as another poster said, there isn't much material available. Also, the 410, 411, and 412 are not even available in my country yet.
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    johnbarley wrote: »
    How long have you been in IT? How many hours per week are you studying? I have no experience at all but quite a lot of time to study. Do you think I could pass all 3 exams by July 31 to earn the certification?

I don't want to go straight for the MCSA 2012 Server because as another poster said, there isn't much material available. Also, the 410, 411, and 412 are not even available in my country yet.

Do you mean no experience in IT at all, or just no experience with servers, AD, etc.? This would determine where you should start with your studies.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
    Keener wrote: »
    Do you mean no experience in IT at all, or just no experience with servers, AD, etc.? This would determine where you should start with your studies.

I have no IT experience at all.

I've only started studying the very basics. During the past month, I've read 3 books addressing the 3 corresponding MTA exams for students - networking, security, and server fundamentals -- and passed practice exams for each of those with Measureup.

Now I want to study for a real cert.