Options

IS VoIP and SIP trunks and automated diallers Worth getting a job in that feild?

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got offered a job working as tech support working with VoIP, SIP trunks and automated diallers and wondered if thats a good way forward and a good area of work to get involved in?
I would also work with hosted telephony and contact centre solutions using VoIP technologies and also a bit of security. I will provide support on systems based on asterisk, linux, sql, cisco and microsoft.

So is that worth getting invloved with and will it lead to bigger things? just wondered about it and if I could be worth it?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Definitely sounds good if you are looking to get into the voice side of the networking field. Plenty of job opportunities and should be plenty of career advancement.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    The answer is.. It depends.

What is your current role and what other opportunities do you have? -It's definitely good experience but what do you have to give up to get it?
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    The answer is.. It depends.

What is your current role and what other opportunities do you have? -It's definitely good experience but what do you have to give up to get it?

I would have to give up my desktop support role. Supporting a network using windows XP and 7 Clients and a few servers and switches routers.
    I cant really progress much in my current role and dont learn any thing new much been doing it for a while now.
    not sure if I should give that up for this new role.
    this new role seems more telecommunications related.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    From what you described it seems like a clear step up technology wise.

Are you wanting to get on the voice side of things? This would invaluable experience if you are.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    If you want to get into VOIP this is a way to go. You already have the customer service down. Learning the VOIP part will be a challenge, but if you interested in VOIP it will be fun.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    If you want to get into VOIP this is a way to go. You already have the customer service down. Learning the VOIP part will be a challenge, but if you interested in VOIP it will be fun.

in what way would learning VOIP be a challenge? are youu suggesting that its difficult to understand or work with?