Options

This is going to be the noobiest question ever.

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok, this will probably be the most noobish question, so I apologize in advance.

I have Windows 7 and I want to do a DOD wipe on the computer. What does that entail?

If I do a DOD wipe on it, will I be able to reinstall windows with my system repair disc?

I gutted my computer once I got it and put it into an antec case. I don't have a windows CD key, will this cause an issue or is the key embedded somewhere which negates me needing it?

Is there another utility out there that will COMPLETELY get rid of every file I have on the computer, along with every trace?

You're probably thinking why I would ask this and I assure you it's nothing of illegal nature, it has to deal with confidentiality.

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Disk Wiping.
    I perform NSA on our company harddrives. Although if you're paranoid enough, try Gutterman(?) which is 32 passes of writing 1s and 0s.

I'm not sure, I've never tried to use a harddrive after wiping it. Im pretty sure it's standardized for the US government - don't expect to do much with the harddrive except use it as a paper weight.

You may be able to low-level format it to reuse it?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    umm if you want to DOD multipass just use darik's boot and nuke (DBAN) on the ultimate boot cd.

For premium erase short of gauss and physical destruction, use HDDErase (also on the ultimate boot cd) and issue ATA_SECURE_ERASE which the disks firmware to destroy the data.

http://notepad2.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-secure-erase-your-hard-drive.html
  • Options
    Can I reformat it several times to overwrite the so called "ghost" images left behind of the deleted files?
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    This is what we use in the air force for non-classified systems:

Who Trusts and Uses WipeDrive? | WhiteCanyon Software

Classified systems must be destroyed.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    Whiteout

Thanks for the link.

Now the question of whether or not I can use a system repair disc alone or if I need that cd key

Oh I found the product key in my computer, joy!
  • Options
    TuneUp Utilities 2012 - Functions - Delete files safely

Apparently this uses the gutmann method? Is it pretty decent? Say that I handed my PC over to an extremely knowledgeable user, would he/she be able to recover the files?

I have tune up shredder already, shredding files right now 8 times over.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I do not know about TuneUp, but I know DBAN works great. I have heard a lot of great things about WipeDrive also.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With current hard drives anything that overwrites the data is enough. In the old days with low density drives there was ways to recover some data due to the design of the disks but that is no longer an issue. Read this for starters http://www.vidarholen.net/~vidar/overwriting_hard_drive_data.pdf