Options

Passed CCNA, should I go for MCITP or CCNP next???

JayDynamiteJayDynamite Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently passed my CCNA exam. After talking with a few friends in the IT field, I was informed to go wide vice deep meaning to go after a few Microsoft certifications. After studying for my MCITP:70-680 I am finding out how much I really enjoy Networking. In order for me to market myself to potential employers, should I go for MCITP then CCNP or just forget the Microsoft stuff and go straight towards CCNP?

Comments

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    How much networking experience do you have?

I'm in the same boat. I also enjoy networking more than server stuff, but I decided to study for MS certs anyway because I don't yet have enough experience to benefit from having CCNP.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really enjoy Networking

I think you answered your own question.......

You must follow what makes you happy aka once you do it is no longer a job but a career icon_wink.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    JayDynamiteJayDynamite Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a full-time student with one year of experience in desktop support, but fixing printer issues and email issues will not get me closer to my Networking goal.
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    If you have no networking experience, CCNP may not be the best thing to do. Having said that, you can certainly starting studying about CCNP material to get some better understanding of concepts. It will be of great help in interviews that require CCNA with little experience.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am a full-time student with one year of experience in desktop support, but fixing printer issues and email issues will not get me closer to my Networking goal.
    If you have no networking experience, getting your CCNP is not a clear plus for your career. Cisco recommends having at least one year of networking experience before embarking on that journey and so would I. My employer just turned down a little-experience CCNP who would've gotten the job if they'd instead been a little-experience CCNA. If you love networking and are looking to expand your breadth of knowledge, I would point out that Cisco provides many clearly good options for an entry-level candidate such as CCNA Security, CCNA Wireless, and CCNA Voice.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    MCITP EDA7 and the CCNA Security and Voice, and 70-640 are things I plan on picking up before I head to CCNP, should be able to get those by March-April with persistent study. Since I do not have direct network job experience, I believe getting some Microsoft Certs can help make sure you able to at least keep a job with descent pay while waiting on that opportunity. At least that's my plan.

P.S, this goes without saying, but I still got to get my CCNA first, so don't mind me