Options

Help with internship-Path way to Manage Service Provider-where to start

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Path way to Manage Service Provider.

I’m currently somewhat interning with a computer repair shop. Basically, he didn’t give me the internship yet, but he wants to talk again. I think I got it, because the interview was so long. However, I really want a full time IT job.
Basically, I met with the guy for 3 hours…yes, it was a long interview and he liked my experience and skill set. He wants to take his computer repair to the Manager Service Provider level. Right now it’s all about research, and he doesn’t have a lot of time, since he’s a one man show. I’m reaching out to you guys for some help. What would be the first step in establishing a path way to become a manage service provider?
I looked at some stuff for example:

Writing scripts for automation-think log me in ect.
I bought and started watching this video:

BetterPCTech.com - Better A Better PC Technician Videos

Also, he asked about my experience with Server 2008 and if I knew how to install active directory and a domain controller, which I do, but he didn’t say what we would do with Server 2008 R2.

My brief experience with MSP is making question where to start… remote support? Host exchange? Backing up and hosting data?
What is the basic minimum step or steps I need take?
When I asked what would he would need help with at first he said…testing equipment seeing if it’s good or not.. and selling it on ebay.

I’m just lost I did find two links I pasted below, I wonder if anyone uses them:
Download dMaintenance 2.0.2 Free - Erase temp files or correct the PC clock - Softpedia

There is a MSP university link I posted below… has anyone used them……I’m just lost at were to start.
Managed Services Provider University

If you were starting a MSP , where would you start?
I never got any direction on what to do, except do some research. I have already googled on the internet and I can’t find much info on how to start a MSP

Quick background

He’s a 1 man shop

He only has 1 shop

He doesn’t do remote support, but he does do on site or in store support.

Looking around his shop, it looked like he had a server or two. I know I saw a rack with a server or two sitting in the server.

I’m not sure if any of this info helps at all.
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor