Microsoft MTA exams

antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm already Server MCITP & a CCNA, but I was wondering if someone could give me some input on these exams. I won't be taking them, but are these the type of exams suitable for a desktop or help desk guy should take to get his feet wet in Server? One of the frustrations I hear from junior guys is how tough it is to go from a desktop gig to a server gig. Many of these guys don't have corporate access to a server to get experience & just as many don't have the funds to set up their own home network to learn.

I'm assuming these exams are comparable to what Comptia does? (gives you a basic understanding of the goods?)

Comments

• jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Microsoft MTA exams are truly entry-level exams. MTA exams are geared for people with zero knowledge of Microsoft technologies.

I have the MTA Windows Server 2008 certificate. I believe it was a very fair exam. Surprisingly straight forward exam. I was tested on each and every exam objective.

The reason I took the MTA exam at all was just to validate my knowledge of Server. I think it's a great entry-level certificate.

I am now preparing to take MCTS exams and I know those exams are geared for working professionals. So, if you know anyone looking for an entry-level Microsoft certificate, steer them toward a MTA certificate.
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like jdancer said, they are exams for people with little to no knowledge of Microsoft products mostly. People who take the A+ or Network+ can take these exams as an entry point for Microsoft certifications.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the comments guys. This sounds like a perfect exam for Help Desk guys who want to learn, but who don't have server access or any AD delegation. For some of them $$$ (or lack thereof) makes setting up a home server impossible.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Too expensive? Even as a VM with a trial version? It's never been cheaper to study at home with a full lab setup at their disposal. Perhaps they should repurpose their gaming rig or go buy a new computer. A $500 laptop has enough processor and RAM to run a couple of server VMs. Cut back on the video games or stay home one night of the weekend and you can have a solid lab environment in no time.
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Too expensive? Even as a VM with a trial version? It's never been cheaper to study at home with a full lab setup at their disposal. Perhaps they should repurpose their gaming rig or go buy a new computer. A $500 laptop has enough processor and RAM to run a couple of server VMs. Cut back on the video games or stay home one night of the weekend and you can have a solid lab environment in no time.

Well Claymoore, not everyone has that type of money. I live in a city which is very expensive & has very high living costs. $500 bucks might be pocket change to you man but for some people it's all the money in the world.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Is the company paying for their exam fees? Who is buying their books?

$500 isn't a lot of money when you can use that machine for multiple labs and spread that cost across multiple exams. It's certainly cheaper than failing because you didn't do the necessary lab work to gain experience and then having to pay for retakes.

I can appreciate their financial situation. When I first started to pursue my certifications, exams were $100 each and I was making $12 and hour. I had an apartment, a car payment, bills and groceries - I didn't have any extra $100 bills lying around. I put my social life on hold, and hit the books as much as possible - I took 3 hours off to eat dinner with my family over the 4 days of Thanksgiving. My dad bought me 2 exam vouchers for Christmas. I had my NT4 MCSE within 6 months and was making over $50k a year within 8 months. If your co-workers really want to advance their career, they will make the sacrifices and get it done. If not, there is always barber college.
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Is the company paying for their exam fees? Who is buying their books?

$500 isn't a lot of money when you can use that machine for multiple labs and spread that cost across multiple exams. It's certainly cheaper than failing because you didn't do the necessary lab work to gain experience and then having to pay for retakes.

I can appreciate their financial situation. When I first started to pursue my certifications, exams were $100 each and I was making $12 and hour. I had an apartment, a car payment, bills and groceries - I didn't have any extra $100 bills lying around. I put my social life on hold, and hit the books as much as possible - I took 3 hours off to eat dinner with my family over the 4 days of Thanksgiving. My dad bought me 2 exam vouchers for Christmas. I had my NT4 MCSE within 6 months and was making over $50k a year within 8 months. If your co-workers really want to advance their career, they will make the sacrifices and get it done. If not, there is always barber college.

Funny you mention barber college. I was reading an article the other day about how being a barber had a bright future and the industry had grown during the recession.

My point of this thread was about the MTA exams & I saw them as a good way to get junior guys a foot in the door to understand the basics, especially around SQL and Server. Even with a lab, taking an exam like the 640 is simply too much for a person. I'm a firm believer of helping a guy get a foot in the door & then delegating stuff to them so they get a feel for Server. This gives them a level of comfort.

As for making sacrifices, yes I agree that has to be done. I certainly did them as I was a late starter to IT. I left a good job & I had savings, but I had to downsize. But I had the benefit of not having kids, any debt (student debt or otherwise) or a reasonably stable life. Not everyone has that & can make extreme changes in their life.

I will admit though it's getting much easier to get lab equipment. Man, I remember paying $3000 bucks for a computer back in the day. The kids today have it easy icon_wink.gif
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The MTA exams can only be done through a school that has a campus license, so these exams are not available commercially. The good news is that there are plans to make them available commercially by the end of 2012: Microsoft Technology Associate Certification l MTA Exams l Entry-Level Developer Exams
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]