Options

Why Subinterfaces?

netstatnetstat Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can anyone be so kind to explain why are subinterfaces used exactly? I know how to configure it, i just don't get their purpose!

10x

Ps: Keep up the good work on this forum - i like!

Comments

• Options
    Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    Take a look at Frame Relay connection point-to-multipoint.

Subinterfaces simulate having multiple logical connections over a single phsical connection.

For instance a company has one T1 connection comming into Serial 0/1

In order to connect this branch to 7 other branch offices you create subinterfaces on Serial 0/1. This elminates the need to actually have 7 T1 lines comming into the office.

A subinterface is done by typing in INT SERIAL 0/1.x

x represents the subinterface number you wish to use as in .1 .2 .5 .200

Hope this helps I believe their is a TechNotes section that will explain this in detail. If not cisco.com will.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Also used with Vlans for utilizing router on a stick with a fast ethernet port so you can route between mutiple vlans using one FA port.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    kypumperkypumper Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I thought the main reason for subinterfaces was too be able to still use split horizon.
    I love the Search Function!
  • Options
    YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    Yep KY, using point to point subinterfaces is a big advantage as they are each treated as individual connections from the same physical interface. What occurs on the ethernets is of no consequence to the serial configuration.

Yankee