Burn me... but I passed ICND2!

kast1kast1 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
It has been a good week for me. I gave my two week notice to a company I have been with for 7 years and just passed ICND2 with the score of 874. The test was tough, but my hours of studying made it happened. This forum has kept me motivated to continue with my career in IT.

My method of studying consists of:
Todd Lammle CCNA 7th ed. (twice)
CBT Nugget Videos (more than 5 times)
RouterAlley ( at work)
gns3 vault
MindJet( for command lines)
and some good note taking

I mainly used Packet Tracer and GNS3, since it allowed me to accomplish more than my current home lab setup. Now that I am done with CCNA, I plan to keep my hard earn knowledge by studying Network Warrior on the side.

In two weeks I will be without a job and I will actively try to find an entry level IT job. I currently have one-year worth of IT support experience. I also have a degree in Computer Information System as well.

Please give me some advice on which path I should go to further my career in IT.
I read that CCNA:Voice will be a good certification to go for next.

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why did you quit your job if you don't have another lined up?

Congrats on the pass though.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I probably wouldn't have jumped ship without another job but that's fine. You're in a pretty good it area so it shouldn't be incredibly difficult to find something entry level. Congratulations on the pass and good luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • kast1kast1 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Why did you quit your job if you don't have another lined up?

Congrats on the pass though.

My current job was inventory control for a large office supply company. I worked there for 7 years and currently make $16 an hour. It was frustrating to see my peers or other people in the forum achieved so much more than I do while I am stuck at a job that had no room for advancement.

I only have myself to blame for not being discipline enough to be pursue my career earlier and thus I went out to find what I want to do in life. I went and found a self-help book called "Success Principles" and begin reading. The book really made an impact on my personal beliefs.
    The book mentioned that I would not change if I continue doing what I do and expect to get a different type of result. Thus, I decided to quit my current job and pursue my career in IT.
    If I can't find a job in IT within this year, then great I will use that time to study. Somehow, someday, someone will hire me in IT is what I say to myself.

Yes, I also think what I did was outrageous and if my family finds out, they will not be happy about it. Though I think this is what I need after going through some tough time and I believe that change only come if I act accordingly.

By the way, I am single, no kids, and no debts. I have my investments and money saved to last me 2 years without having a job.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We wish you the best of luck. I know you'll definitely be motivated to find that job. I envy your strength and conviction to do that. Myself, I have a lot of debt I'm trying to peel away from, as well as use that time to study. I know, it's an excuse, but it's an excuse that if I don't take care of - I will be in a very bad position :)

All I can do it study, work hard and maintain my full time here and do the best I can do. :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• tbhoustontbhouston Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    $16/hour goes a lot further in Houston than a LOT of places. My rent is about 20% of my income and i life comfortably
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kast1 wrote: »
    I went and found a self-help book called "Success Principles" and begin reading. The book really made an impact on my personal beliefs.
    The book mentioned that I would not change if I continue doing what I do and expect to get a different type of result. Thus, I decided to quit my current job and pursue my career in IT.
    That's probably not exactly what the author had in mind, but good luck to you.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I feel as long as you are comfortable with your finances then good job on leaving a job you dont want to be at. Everybody has a different financial situation when it comes to making a move from a job but I dont feel you should stay at a place you dont want to be at. Its depressing and if you can get out then go for it. I hate to see people just stay at a job they want to be in, I've seen it over and over again and you have to make a change and if you hadnt you''d still be there right now. As far as finding work make sure you have a good resume put together with as much skills and knowledge as you can on Cisco and networking, Maybe send it to some IT staffing agencies in your area and post it on Dice.com. monster.com and linkedIN.com. There are some entry level positions out there that you may fit into. You could also try to do some volunteer work maybe, again I dont know the area you live in but you can do it. If you want to PM me we can talk more. I work in IT and have been since 1999 but I started in telecommunications which you may want to look into also. You could maybe apply for some type of tech support positions too maybe, just my opinion.
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Hey man, sometimes the best way of making something happen is just by starting fresh and doing it. I left an 80K+ job as a commissioned sales manager in the pursuit of happiness...just up and quit and moved states. I did it because I was sick of not being educated and not doing what I really wanted to do. I felt like I could actually feel myself getting dumber by the day, so I totally know what you were going through. It has been a tough couple years financially going back to school, but it is only temporary. I have been doing it for a couple years now but it will be much easier for you since you can make a move at any time. Look at it this way, you left a job you didn't like without finding another one first, well guess what, you can always find another job you don't like if things get tough. Don't worry about it, congrats on the pass, you are on the right track.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! You will be fine. GOOD LUCK!
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, Mr CCNA! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    kast1 wrote: »
    It has been a good week for me. I gave my two week notice to a company I have been with for 7 years and just passed ICND2 with the score of 874. The test was tough, but my hours of studying made it happened. This forum has kept me motivated to continue with my career in IT.

My method of studying consists of:
    Todd Lammle CCNA 7th ed. (twice)
    CBT Nugget Videos (more than 5 times)
    RouterAlley ( at work)
    gns3 vault
    MindJet( for command lines)
    and some good note taking

I mainly used Packet Tracer and GNS3, since it allowed me to accomplish more than my current home lab setup. Now that I am done with CCNA, I plan to keep my hard earn knowledge by studying Network Warrior on the side.

In two weeks I will be without a job and I will actively try to find an entry level IT job. I currently have one-year worth of IT support experience. I also have a degree in Computer Information System as well.

Please give me some advice on which path I should go to further my career in IT.
    I read that CCNA:Voice will be a good certification to go for next.

I've seen many posts talking about CBT nuggets and passing exams. However, I'm shocked by the price of the nuggets. Do you pay by yourself or have your boss reimburse you? It costs $199/mo for a single course!!! And ICND1/ICND2 eam fee is just about $150...
  • Anonymized1Anonymized1 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great Job.. congratulations :)
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Congrats on the CCNA!

I am baffled as to why you would quit one job and not have another lined up. How old are you again? From your post and experience you stated I am guessing quite young.

Don't get in the habit of quitting a job without another one ready to go. Once you are in IT, do NOT burn any bridges because working in IT as a career is truly based upon networking and building your name and reputation. There are so many lazy no good for nothings in the IT field that it's easy to out shine them with relative ease. You are already on your way with your CCNA, get your foot in the door somewhere and build from there.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • manav.g.gargmanav.g.garg Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratulations on the pass. Best of luck for your next job
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Congratulations on passing. I hope you find a job soon.

You might try finding a job in a NOC somewhere if networking is really what you want to do.

You might also try going to the IT Jobs/Degrees section of the forum to post your resume for review. There might be something that someone might see that might be holding you back from finding a job in IT.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD