Options

Field assignment

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
So I ahve my first "Real world" installation next saturday I must install a new router because the current router is EOL. So a Verizon engineer will direct me through cellphone the list of things I must bring are

-Laptop
-Console Cable
-Fully charge cellphone

is my first time doing this so if you have tips, advice. please let me know it.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depending on the battery life of your laptop, you may also need to bring your laptop charger.
  • Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    This might seem stupid but ive seen it bit a few people. Make sure the laptop you have actually has a serial port on it. If it doesnt you will need a USB<>serial adapter. Also a decent console program on the laptop would be helpful. Something along the lines of puTTY or SecureCRT. If you dont have or are unable to get one of those make sure the laptop has Hyperterminal on it. Other than that a screwdriver might not be a bad idea.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cell phone charger just in case.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    her.yangher.yang Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm...I always insist that my field techs bring these things at the minimum:

Laptop bag
    Laptop w/ power supply
    Console cable
    CAT5 patch cables (to test connections if necessary)
    Single-mode ST-LC patch cables (depends on what fiber infrastructure you're using though, if any)
    Extra GBICs
    Screwdriver w/ rack screws

The laptop should have Terterm, Hyperterminal, PuTTY, or some other terminal access program on it and I'd recommend that you also have Pumpkin or some other TFTP program as well, just in case you need to transfer configuration files or flash files. Good luck!
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    To add to her.yangs list a pair of needle nose pliers. Helps with installing stubborn rack screws that just don't want to go in.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    I'd add some kind of cutting tool (wire cutting pliers) to the list. Sometimes you'll walk into a place a swear there must have been a HUGE sale on cable ties and you won't be able to move anything because there'll be a cable tie every 2 - 3 inches.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With this many replies, I'm the first to add a pen and duct tape? :)

+1 her.yang's list. It's quite good.
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    Im worry for the rack part. where I can read or better watch a video how to mount a router in a rack I know theres a lot of rack models but I want to check an example to be more prepared for the this saturday.
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    You can try youtube I guess. What model router are you racking?

Oh yeah, just in case it's a huge router bring a server lift and some buddies. LOL
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD