Options

I Had a Senior Moment Last Week (New Job!)

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
I've been looking for a new full-time gig for a while now. My most recent venture, working part-time for an MSP hasn't been particularly successful and has felt like it's pretty much been a waste of my time since I started back in December of 2011. I work on a contractual basis, getting paid for the hours I work, but the hours have been VERY thin as of late and I'm barely making ends meet. My poor roommate has been tearing his hair out, trying to cover all the expenses on his helpdesk pay.

That all changed last week. I got a call from a recruiting agency last Thursday, went in for an interview with the actual hiring manager on Friday, and got an offer later that afternoon. Starting Tuesday, September 4th, I am the new Sr. Systems Administrator for one of the largest health care providers in the country. Apparently, all the tinkering with PowerShell and upgrading my MCSA 2003 has paid off, because they're having me start working on project to audit and automate the process for migrating a newly-acquired campus' existing AD infrastructure to the larger, more standardized AD forest of the medical group. Apparently, the new hospital's IT duties were being done by an accountant for the past couple of years, so I'm sure it'll be a SERIOUS rats nest.

Officially, the gig is a short-term contract, slated to be a few months. During my 1 and 1/2 hour interview with the CIO, however, he went into excruciating detail regarding several other projects coming up over the course of the next two years. We talked about my experience with large-scale Windows 7 deployments, my background in networking, managing other IT staff, managing upgrade and design projects. . . yeah, I get the feeling I'm going to be here a while.

So, I'm finally back on the horse working, and I get to add the "Sr" prefix to my job-title. All in all, not a bad way to end the summer. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats on the new gig!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! You definitely deserved it.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations! How large of a healthcare provider, is it in CA? Just curious. :)
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gratz on the new gig!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats man, you deserved it!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the new job.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Hot damn! Congratulations. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 197 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! best of luck for the future
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! From the sound of it, you're going to be playing cleanup for a long, long time.....that's great for you.

And if that accountant is still there....sounds like you're really gonna have fun!! LMAO.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    Congrats and all the best!!
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you! That's awesome, Slowhand!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    That's great, though from the title of the thread I was thinking about another kind of senior moment. icon_lol.gif
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Senior ..icon_smile.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Nicely done.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    congrats Sr. Systems Administrator!! =D

timely too! =)
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    MainframerMainframer Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! One man's rats' nest is another man's treasure...
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats to you!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Thanks a lot for the well-wishes everyone, I'm definitely excited to start next week, and VERY excited to be back in a larger environment than the MSPs had me working in. My new employer is Sutter Health, (through a recruiting agency for the time being,) which I understand is primarily in California, but I've already been talking IT guys from other states that I'll be collaborating with so I'm guessing they have affiliate health care groups that they're partnered with or part of a larger parent-company with. They're not Kaiser-big, but there is a sizable number of campuses to keep track of.

Alright. . . so I'm happy to have the job, but I don't know if I'll ever truly be excited at the prospect of having to go to work every day. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.