VCP5 Conquered!

mitch179mitch179 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
I posted this over on the VMware forums, but I thought I would copy paste my experience here also :)

Last week I passed my VCP5 Exam...

Seriously that was pretty tough. I didn't score great but that doesn't bother me due to it being pretty damn hard and a pass is a pass

To anyone studying for the exam, my best advice is to study extremely hard and like everyone says, know everything on the blue print, I honestly think that everything in the blue print was in a question on the exam somewhere.

A lab is a must have, hands on experience in a production environment is even better, I've been lucky enough to be working with vSphere for a while now and that helped in a big way. I think the more experience you have in the real world the higher you are going to score, without a doubt.

What I used to study:

Various blogs around the web, I think I went to all of the major ones and massive props to the guys that have made them!

VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5 Study Guide - Brian Atkins - I burnt through this book really quickly and I thought it was great.

Mastering VMware vSphere 5 - Scott Lowe - There is a reason this is constantly reccomended, I read it cover to cover and it was well worth it.

VMware's own documentation

Yellow bricks articles.

Best of luck to anyone looking to take the exam :D

Comments

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Congrats on the pass! What's next?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • mitch179mitch179 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't mind going on to something else but I really need a break from studying ATM. When I'm in the mood to get back to studying I'll be tossing up between VCAP:DCA and CCNP but that will be dictated by what role I end up in since I'm currently looking to change employers.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Grats on the pass! I concur on the test not being an easy one, you really got to have labbed it if you dont work on a production environment.

Maybe do the VCAP5-DCA while all the VCP material is fresh in your brain and even if you dont end up getting the cert, the knowledge gained would be invaluable.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • mitch179mitch179 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Everyone!

Essendon: you raise a very valid point, now I need to think about if I want to get into it now while it's all still fresh hhhmmmm