Options

Loopback plug.???

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
Ok I got my WO for my mission field saturday but I dont understand this info I dont want to bother my boss so if you know it tell what is this? What I going to do with this? first time I see this

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Are you asking what a loopback plug is? If so, its a jack that wires the tx to rx so the link can be artificially brought up.

Just to add, if you don't know something you should definitely ask someone at work. Better to ask the stupid question than end up messing the job up because you were too scared to ask.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Just to add, if you don't know something you should definitely ask someone at work. Better to ask the stupid question than end up messing the job up because you were too scared to ask.

This is great advice. Take it to heart.

Just had to give rep for it.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    Ok I got my WO for my mission field saturday but I dont understand this info I dont want to bother my boss so if you know it tell what is this? What I going to do with this? first time I see this
    Like Networker said, ask your boss. It's better to ask a stupid question then look stupid in front of a customer. Are you CCNA certified? If you've worked in the networking field for a while then I'm very surprised that you've never seen a loopback plug.

I have about 5 or 6 of them in my tool bag just in case I need to do some troubleshooting.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seems like pretty good instructions to me. I may even make my own now :)
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ThinkGeek :: Universal Network Cable
    c890_universal_network_cable.jpg
    • ROLLED: Connect a host to a Cisco router or switch
    • CROSSOVER: Communicate directly between computers without a hub or switch
    • STRAIGHT-THROUGH: Use as a standard RJ45 patch cable
    • ATM/LOOPBACK: Test if a network card is working by checking for link lights with no need for a hub or switch
    • T1: Connect to DDS lines / T1 trunk lines

Win.

Wow, a USB SNES controller. Oh hell. Where's those classic games at. Super Mario World! :D~ Oh heck, if they came out with a Genesis USB controller. I'll never get my cisco certs. And I can toss Skyrim out the digital window too.

And a Binary Clock!

...:'(
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Rogue: That is AWESOME!!!! Could be a very useful tool to own.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    @Roguetadhg - That is genius. Now I want one of them and an LED binary clock. No lab is finished without a binary clock.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    I wouldn't want to leave that anywhere though. Kiss the 29 bucks goodbye LOL
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    that's pretty cool, =D be sure to carry a straight through patch with you though... or kiss goodbye to rollover and T1 features XD
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Like Networker said, ask your boss. It's better to ask a stupid question then look stupid in front of a customer. Are you CCNA certified? If you've worked in the networking field for a while then I'm very surprised that you've never seen a loopback plug.

I have about 5 or 6 of them in my tool bag just in case I need to do some troubleshooting.

I've been in the field for about 3 years...and I've never seen one either! We have a separate department that handles cabling/racking stuff in our datacenter so we don't do much L1 work.
  • Options
    johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    gouki2005 wrote: »

Interesting. I learned something new. An ethernet loopback should be a self-crossover. That means wire 1 to 3, and 2 to 6. But for T1 loopback plug, it's 1-4 and 2-5. Do not use the one recommended by Rogue icon_wink.gif His is for ethernet loopback...
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Couldn't tell ya. I just keep losing my stubby cables to do testing. I tried connecting them to rj-45 joiners, and they have legs. Im left with a crossover and a small roll over :\

My original eithernet lo got lost in the shuffle somewhere! I even had the wiring wrapped.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams