Options

What are the networking fields?

hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
Like Programming, there are a lot of programming languages, i can choose anyone of them or many for me to get into a job.

but what about in Networking? what are the fields under that? i am sure i will not study and get a job on all of them.

Comments

• Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    Networking doesn't typically specialize to the degree that programming does. You can break it down maybe into Corporate environments, Service provider environments, Data center, and I'm sure others that I'm not mentioning. You will also have some people that will specialize in Voice services, Typical routing and switching and security. Beyond that you may find people who are stronger with switching than routing, people who specialize in network security, and other. This probably isn't really the answer you were looking for but hopefully it will help.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Look at Cisco, or Juniper, or other vendor's certification tracks. That might give you a broad idea of the specializations in networking.

Otherwise, you could take a look at this article from the packetpushers.com community blog aggregation:

Three Types of Networks – Choosing a Career Path

It boils things down a little bit simpler into 3 broad paths.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And don't forget storage networking.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hell911 wrote: »
    Like Programming, there are a lot of programming languages, i can choose anyone of them or many for me to get into a job. but what about in Networking? what are the fields under that? i am sure i will not study and get a job on all of them.
    There are also sectors to consider.

Someone who is good at setting up routing for companies with less than 1000 employees using EIGRP would be at a distinct disadvantage at an ISP running IS-IS plus BGP.
  • Options
    hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for the answers.