2600XM BootRom Upgrade gone BaD

jhnevelusjhnevelus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently purchased a 2610XM with 256D and 32F memory.(Memory was separate). After loading the memory, the router gave me a bad error code. After checking forums, they indicated that my bootrom was bad and that I could replace it. I reseated the bootrom and reseated the power jumpers and the bootstrap loaded but told me I only had 128mb of memory. Since I had the bad bootrom before, I proceeded to purchase some good memory from Ebay and load one that had 256M capability. But now all I get on my router is a weird "b" each time it turns on. Ive tried putting the old bootrom and the new one and reseatting the power to no avail.

???? What am I doing wrong?

Here is the description of my bootrom....

Part Number: BOOT-2600XM-256=, BOOT-2600XM-256, BOOT-2600XM, BOOT-2600XM=
One PLCC IC Chip
Compatible: Cisco Network Router 2610XM, 2611XM, 2620XM, 2621XM, 2650XM, 2651XM. All 2600XM routers can be upgraded to support a maximum of 48MB of Flash memory and 256MB SDRAM when using both the Cisco 2600XM BootROM version 12.2(8r)(supplied with Cisco p/n BOOT-2600XM-256=) and Cisco IOS Release 12.1.3T, 12.2, 12.2T, or later Cisco IOS versions.

Comments

• jhnevelusjhnevelus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Scratch the issue... I have an older2610xm that I swapped out all the memory and bootrom and loaded the newly purchased memory/bootrom with no problem on the old router, so I can rule out the bootrom or the memory. My old router was also able to see the 256m ram. I also tried the old bootrom that I was replacing and it worked with no problem on my old router. Is there some sort of reset I need to allow the motherboard of my newly purchased 2610xm to see the new memory? I just keeps loading that" b".
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have also encountered these oddities. I was lucky to have sucsess, but my test methods and proceedure are inconclusive. Cisco does not document how to flush/purge/****, everything we can only guess, my guess: I took out all memory sticks and both bootrom, i then powered it up with empty sockets, then after power down, swap in all known good working from another lab device, repeat as necassary. when you get into rommon> and start to try crazy things thier take a screen shot so you will be able to reset to default. this did work for me, once you get rommon> and then finaly get ROUTER>, you must remember to do confreg 0x2102, reeload, yes, confreg 02142, reload, yes.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    @inscom.brigade : when you put
    confreg 0x2102, reeload, yes, confreg 02142, reload, yes.
    Is the first "reeload" supposed to have the extra "e" or was it just a typo? I figure it is a typo but I just wanted to make sure.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    It's only one "e"

reload
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • jhnevelusjhnevelus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After the test I did, Ive determined that all 3 bootroms work, because I loaded them in a good router. I will power it on with everything off and see if it works.