Options

Orange Link - Connected Two Switches together

halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
Hello Guys,

I have a connected unconfigured switch which has only interface vlan 1 ip address, password to a switch. It shows orange link on the port. I have used straight through cable. Is this related to the cable??

Your replies will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you search for the manual of your model of switch you can find what the LED colors/codes mean.

Whether that cable being a straight through is going to cause problems depends on your switch model as well (some models support auto sensing). The general rule of thumb is like device to like device you use a crossover.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    @networker050184: Thanks for that information. If I want to connect two switches together so they will communicate. Should i make a switchport mode trunk port between two of them?
  • Options
    Depends. Do you know why you would use a trunk port?
  • Options
    To make a single passage for different VLANs.
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Connect a PC to the switch port and see what happens.
  • Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    The cable type between 2 switches would normally be a crossover but with most newer switches they have auto-mdix enabled so a straight through cable will work also.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    @okplaya: do you mean that if i connect just the crossover cable both switches will communicate with each another?
  • Options
    @dead_p00l: I tried connecting a straight through cable but the switch had amber link on that port, is that related to STP?
  • Options
    Again, the lights can mean different things on different models of switches. Look up your switch.

Also again, like devices need a crossover unless the switch supports auto sensing.

Please do some basic research. We can not help you if you don't try to help yourself.
  • Options
    Amber means that the port is on STP - I did research but i did not found any document which says anything about the light which stays continuously amber. It is a 2960-S Switch.
  • Options
    huafisthuafist Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Amber means that the port is on STP - I did research but i did not found any document which says anything about the light which stays continuously amber. It is a 2960-S Switch.

Typically when a light stays completely amber it's because it's an orphaned member of a VLAN - ie, the VLAN to which it belonged was deleted from the switch's VLAN database.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information guys, I have read the manual and it says the port status would be completely amber or blinking amber when the port is blocked by STP. What should i do if the port is blocked by STP?
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have more than one cable plugged in from switch to switch? I suggest you read more into your CCNA book for more information. This is critical for studying.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Thanks for the information guys, I have read the manual and it says the port status would be completely amber or blinking amber when the port is blocked by STP. What should i do if the port is blocked by STP?

If a port remains in the STP BLOCKING state, that's your indication that if the port were up, there would be a catastrophic loop. It's normal for some ports to be blocking when you have redundant links. No action is necessary. However, you should be using show commands to verify the router's operation when possible, rather than relying on your interpretation of LEDs.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Use a crossover cable.
    Check the running-config on BOTH switches.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Hello guys,

Thanks for the information, I just added the appropriate vlan for the port and switchport mode access. The link is up now, Does that mean that the switch port is having a loop?

Regards.
  • Options
    How many links are between the switches? Do you know when and why a loop would be created?