Options

WGU Scholarships?

Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
I see WGU offers scholarships for many groups. In my case I graduated from a partner community college. Any idea if they are need based or use other criteria? Any hints on apply for one? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I had a scholarship and it was not needs based at all. The one I did was for $600 a term (up to 5).

My advice is just apply if there is one available that you feel you remotely qualify for. The one I had I needed two certs prior to enrolling, and those were only A+ and Network+. Then I had a five minute interview. I had the impression that I was going to get the discount and the lady I was speaking with was just going with the formality.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I had a scholarship and it was not needs based at all. The one I did was for $600 a term (up to 5).

My advice is just apply if there is one available that you feel you remotely qualify for. The one I had I needed two certs prior to enrolling, and those were only A+ and Network+. Then I had a five minute interview. I had the impression that I was going to get the discount and the lady I was speaking with was just going with the formality.

Nice! ....
  • Options
    Did you include letters of recommendation?
  • Options
    No, I did not; I was not required to.

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I had the IT professionals scholarship during my undergrad degree. It waived $600 per semester. It was pretty easy to get but I did have to list three references that were emailed links to write a recommendation for me
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Tsmith128Tsmith128 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very new to WGU and currently going through the application process so am interested in all they have to offer
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got the (dating myself here) AARP scholarship ($1000 per term, 5 terms). It wasn't needs based as much as situation based. I wrote an essay and once accepted I wrote a thank you letter.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    I had the IT professionals scholarship during my undergrad degree. It waived $600 per semester. It was pretty easy to get but I did have to list three references that were emailed links to write a recommendation for me

Too bad they no longer offer that one. icon_sad.gif They removed it at the end of May or June.
  • Options

They must've added that as a newer requirement. I had gotten mine around 9/2010. I did post about it in one of the threads.
  • Options
    In the current application they don't require recommendations but they do recommend them. Just kind of a hassle to arrange them.