Options

What is the best text book for Linux+ / LPIC-1 cert?

gui4lifegui4life Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am studying for my Linux+ Level 1 (Powered by LPIC-1) certification. I am almost half way through CBTnuggets.com's "LPI LINUX LPIC-1 101 AND COMPTIA LINUX+ Training" videos.

What text book is the BEST to accompany my CBTnuggets.com training? I want an easy to read book that actually helps me for the test.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    Linux+ Study Gyide (Syngress)
    LPIC-1 Study Guide (Sybex)
    Oeilly LPI Linux Xertification in a Nutshll

begineer books
    Linux for Dummies
    Red Hat Linux for Dummies
  • Options
    typo error *Oreilly LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell
  • Options
    forgot to mention the best book ><

recomended books
    Complete Linux + Study Guide (2010 Sybex, Roderick W Smith)*******the best book
    Linux+ Study Gyide (2010 Syngress)

Additional Books
    LPIC-1 Study Guide (Sybex)
    Oeilly LPI Linux Xertification in a Nutshll

begineer books
    Linux for Dummies
    Red Hat Linux for Dummies
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used the Sybex book by Roderick Smith when I took Linux+ in 2005 (for 2009 I didn't need to study). As I recall it was easy to read and helpful for the exam. If I wanted to take the new two exam Linux+ / LPIC-1 combo I wouldn't hesitate to buy the current one by the same author.

Amazon.com: CompTIA Linux+ Complete Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102 (9780470888452): Roderick W. Smith: Books
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Thank you. I will get the Complete Linux + Study Guide (2010 Sybex, Roderick W Smith)
  • Options
    JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm also jumping board on the Linux+ / LPIC-1 Cert and have in my possession Roderick Smith's book.

At work we migrated over from a Unix server to Linux, so I guess it'd be a good skill to acquire plus it should compliment any job searches in Networking.

I'll place the CCNP on hold for a couple months.
    2016 Certification Goals:
    CCIE R/S Written: ???
    CCIE R/S Lab: ???
    Add me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-meier/38/912/280/
  • Options
    FlemethFlemeth Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey ,

I m kina in the same situation . Decided to start learning learning linux to take LPIC1 or CompTIA Linux +

Because only had extremely limited contact with Linux (i know the basic 10 most useful commands) i needed to start something really noob friendly.

I started with Linux essentials by Roderick W Smith
    Linux Essentials: Roderick W. Smith: 9781118106792: Amazon.com: Books - really decent

Then i moved to LPIC-1/CompTIA Linux+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide
    LPIC-1/CompTIA Linux+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide (Exams LPIC-1/LX0-101 & LX0-102): Robb Tracy: 9780071771573: Amazon.com: Books great for total beginners like me but definitely not enough (especially on the commands variety/options )

As soon as i finish the book above i plan to move to the CompTIA Linux+ Complete Study Guide by Roderick W Smit
    CompTIA Linux+ Complete Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102: Roderick W. Smith: 9780470888452: Amazon.com: Books

Does anyone (especially one who did take and pass the exam) have a better suggestion for me ? Also i noticed that while everything is clear to me and i have no issues while reading after i read about some uncommon commands and there options and a few days pass i tend to forget them icon_sad.gif . I dont know how to improve my long term memory here , exercise come to my mind , i do try every command on my Ubuntu but i still forget them. Does anyone know any kind of "hardening" exercises to remember commands ? I m thinking of doing more like practical exercises then just testing every command but it s hard to find on the web something like that... What would it be the best ways to learn commands (with options etc) ?

Also i m not sure what do LPIC1 or CompTIA Linux+ , i understand that they have the same value but is there any difference between them ? Is one somehow easier or the cost of an exam is less?

thanks for any info you can provide !
  • Options
    alexalejanalexalejan Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just found this thread, looking to start studying for Linux+ myself.

Im a bit confused with the difference between the books listed here (2010 publications), and the current editions that exist now for each of them. The Comptia Study Guide, for example, both the 2010 and the 2013 say they cover the same two exams. The older one is $0.84 on amazon. Is there any reason I would need the newer edition of these books, or are the ones listed in this thread still valid?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Always get the latest version of the books.