MTA Database and Web Development

NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
Has anyone taken the 98-364 (Database fundamentals) and 98-363 (Web Development Fundamentals)? I think these are only available to university students - but I think a lot of WGU students are here and took these exams.

I have about 3 yeas experience writing C#, JavaScript and SQL code. This experience was currcurrent with time spent as a DBA responsible for several SQL Servers. I am confident I have the skills needed for these exams and will of course review the provided study material but wanting to get a gauge of how difficult these exams are.

Thanks for any information!
When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.

Comments

• joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think if you already have experience in programming, it's probably not too bad. Personally, the official material made me crazy. I purchased Beginning ASP.NET in C# and VB by Imar Spaanjars and read that instead. You might do fine with the official material though if you're already experienced. I don't think this certificate is supposed to be equivalent to an intro to programming which is what WGU is doing with it. I left some pretty harsh feedback after finishing that class.
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    For some reason WGU has the 363 exam early in the degree plan and before taking 361 which is "Software Fundamentals".

Something tells me it should be reversed...

I'm studying for Database right now, along with the CIW database exam. I plan on reading the CIW text, going through the MTA book and then supplementing all that with the videos from Coursera's Database class and I purchase the MeasureUp practice exams for every MTA I have to take as well.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think if you already have experience in programming, it's probably not too bad. Personally, the official material made me crazy. I purchased Beginning ASP.NET in C# and VB by Imar Spaanjars and read that instead. You might do fine with the official material though if you're already experienced. I don't think this certificate is supposed to be equivalent to an intro to programming which is what WGU is doing with it. I left some pretty harsh feedback after finishing that class.

Funny you mention that book! I own that book and have read it - I liked it a lot (I only followed the C# code). I have fairly extensive experience in ASP.NET web programming using C# and also with Windows Forms applications, so I'm hoping I can skim the training material to pick up any of the little detail stuff you need to know while skipping parts that introduce concepts like variables, loops, try/catch, ect.
    Hi everyone,

I have now taken 98-361 (Software Development, C#), 98-363(Web Development, C#), 98-364 (Database, SQL Server). The WGU provided study material was adequate for my exams in all three cases. In all three cases, I feel like the study material was an excellent introduction to the material. These properly named as foundation exams.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @CarlSaiyed - glad to hear that the WGU MTA material is adequate - I wasn't looking forward to spending any money on these exams.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    I really don't understand why people rag on these exams. They are a fantastic introduction. Certainly, they are not MCTS but they really do introduce the material and cover a lot of starting ground.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The problem is not that exam material is useless. It may well be a good introduction. The issue is that money spent on the exam itself will provide no return on investment. Employers are not looking for MTA.

Knowledge is certainly valuable. Studying for MTA is just fine, but actually taking the exam and paying for it (unless, of course, your degree requires it) doesn't really add any value over practice tests and book study.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    @ptilsen

I agree that if the MTA and MCTS exams are the same price, someone would probably be money ahead to skip paying out of pocket for the MTA and go for the MCTS.
  • charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    Has anyone taken the 98-364 (Database fundamentals) and 98-363 (Web Development Fundamentals)? I think these are only available to university students - but I think a lot of WGU students are here and took these exams.

I have about 3 yeas experience writing C#, JavaScript and SQL code. This experience was currcurrent with time spent as a DBA responsible for several SQL Servers. I am confident I have the skills needed for these exams and will of course review the provided study material but wanting to get a gauge of how difficult these exams are.

Thanks for any information!

All MTA exams are open to anyone (yes, non-students...didn't used to be but anyone can take them now through Prometric) that wants to pay for them and can do so directly through Prometric. MTA started as a "student" oriented series of exams but no longer does one have to be a student. So, if you want to take any of them, just sign up directly through Prometric. Nowadays, there are good (new) study guides. Gibson's book for the 98-366 (networking fundamentals) is a gem.
    Anyway, to answer your question: Anyone can take MTA exams. If you take them prior to going to WGU, they will transfer in. If you have the funds, it saves time.