Options

Failed ICND-1 today

THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
icon_redface.gifHello everyone:
Unforunately I failed the ICDD-1 today at 12:45 pm. I felt good going into the test and qusetion were not to tricky. Cisco has a way with words, but I was able too overcome al least thought so. The final reslt was I only score 662 and needed 804 to pass. I feel like a dumby now. I put two solid months of studing, I now need to pinpoint my weakness strengthen them. However I do need some pointers since was so nice as break the section of my weakness, can tell me what chapter corresponds to this !@#$ as follows:

Describe the operation of data networks...............................................................................................50%
Implement a small swithced network.....................................................................................................40%
Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network for a small branch office.........................71%
Implement a small routed network.........................................................................................................47%
Explain and select the appropriate tasks required for a WLAN.......................................................................0%
Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to migrate those threats..........................50%
Implement and verify WAN links.............................................................................................................50%

With score like these it looks like I did not even try to prepare; this is dishearting. So since this is labor day weekend I am going pop me some colds one take me time before going back to the drawing board.icon_redface.gif
An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you go through the chapter section questions?

I put three months in, it took me just about the time to make things click together and gave me the opportunity to learn the finer details while maintaining a high-level understanding. If you want, go and buy a practice test from Boson, they score like the real thing so you can zero in your problem areas. New questions and all.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have Boson test exams. My score on Boson are average 93 or 937. Cisco questioning are a little different and the were no definite answer. just pssible answers in the multiple choice. The sim were the most comfortable to me for some reason.
    An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You'll get it. I think that you should spend a few months going over the material.

INE has their CCNA videos for free steaming. They should help you.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    THA_DOC wrote: »
    icon_redface.gifHello everyone:
    Unforunately I failed the ICDD-1 today at 12:45 pm. I felt good going into the test and qusetion were not to tricky. Cisco has a way with words, but I was able too overcome al least thought so. The final reslt was I only score 662 and needed 804 to pass. I feel like a dumby now. I put two solid months of studing, I now need to pinpoint my weakness strengthen them. However I do need some pointers since was so nice as break the section of my weakness, can tell me what chapter corresponds to this !@#$ as follows:

Describe the operation of data networks...............................................................................................50%
    Implement a small swithced network.....................................................................................................40%
    Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network for a small branch office.........................71%
    Implement a small routed network.........................................................................................................47%
    Explain and select the appropriate tasks required for a WLAN.......................................................................0%
    Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to migrate those threats..........................50%
    Implement and verify WAN links.............................................................................................................50%

With score like these it looks like I did not even try to prepare; this is dishearting. So since this is labor day weekend I am going pop me some colds one take me time before going back to the drawing board.icon_redface.gif

What book did you use? What labs did you do to make you so comfortable with the labs? I have an Excel spreadsheet online that you can look at with all the CCENT objectives. It seems to me that you really have to study for ICND1 and 2 but the first has more concepts/theories/terms and is that what made the multiple choice questions tough plus Cisco putting their trickery into it? Good news, you did well in subnetting and labs(as you said) so the rest can be reviewed and learned(wireless) and your score will IMPROVE UPON this next time! Don't let your hard earned study go to waste!
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    It's alright. List out your weak points and then plan time to study each area. Spend most of your time studying those topics, while skimming/reviewing the topics you feel more comfortable with. Do that for maybe a few more weeks to a month and try again!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Don't worry... it took me 4 months of studying before I had the courage of taking the ICND1... =p It's definitely not "easy" that you can just pick up a book and go in.

Like others suggested, the percentage breakdown is pretty useful in identifying weaknesses.

Please let us know what books, videos, or other exam prep materials were you using. They might not be adequate enough.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    DONQUIXOTE007DONQUIXOTE007 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck for next time. Don't give up now.
  • Options
    neoteslaneotesla Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It all looks a bit scary now from where I'm sitting (a bit over 2 weeks to ICND1). Especially that WLAN thing with 0%. But maybe it's good, maybe I need to be scared in order to study harder.icon_study.gif
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I also got 0% on WLAN because there was only one really weird question, so it's not a big deal :)
  • Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    ^^^
    Yeah same thing happened to me when I passed. One question on WLAN which i realised I got wrong after clicking next.

I wouldn't worry about that. I would worry about all those 50%s though. It looks like you have gaping holes in your knowledge. What book did you use to study?
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    INE has their CCNA videos for free steaming. They should help you.
    hi , can i have the link ? i did find on their website "it says i hav to pay usd 99" not free
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    hi , can i have the link ? i did find on their website "it says i hav to pay usd 99" not free

It costs $99 to download the video bootcamp, but it's free to stream online. CCNA Associate Course - 640-802

All you need to do is register an account on INE and log in to the member's section. http://members.ine.com/

The free streaming promotions are located at the bottom of the left-hand-side column.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    THA_DOC wrote: »
    I have Boson test exams. My score on Boson are average 93 or 937. Cisco questioning are a little different and the were no definite answer. just pssible answers in the multiple choice. The sim were the most comfortable to me for some reason.

This is what is scaring me over and over is that what if you understand the technology, score fabulous on Boson tests and still fail the exam? Is this where the books like odom icnd1 go into too much theory or maybe spend in an inordinate amount of time on that and/or they(odom, lammel) don't spend enough time on questions??
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It's been about 9 months since I took my last Cisco exam but from what I remember of the questions, they were straight-forward. Questions that require you to figure out the port number for a specific protocol, where you have to understand basic show commands to determine the answers, where you need to have subnetting down to a science to be able to apply a valid host IP/router/switch IP, etc. I don't remember a lot of questions on theory but in the "real world," you NEED to know that information. Focusing on the commands and not understanding the theory in the real world will get you destroyed when trying to configure any other vendor's product or troubleshooting a routing protocol, STP, VTP, etc.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    mapletune wrote: »
    It costs $99 to download the video bootcamp, but it's free to stream online. CCNA Associate Course - 640-802

All you need to do is register an account on INE and log in to the member's section. http://members.ine.com/

The free streaming promotions are located at the bottom of the left-hand-side column.

Cheers,
    Mike

thanks a lot :)
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    It's been about 9 months since I took my last Cisco exam but from what I remember of the questions, they were straight-forward. Questions that require you to figure out the port number for a specific protocol, where you have to understand basic show commands to determine the answers, where you need to have subnetting down to a science to be able to apply a valid host IP/router/switch IP, etc. I don't remember a lot of questions on theory but in the "real world," you NEED to know that information. Focusing on the commands and not understanding the theory in the real world will get you destroyed when trying to configure any other vendor's product or troubleshooting a routing protocol, STP, VTP, etc.

Totally agree with you on that (understanding the theory etc). It seems Illumanati is really concerned with not reading a through a long book that has proven to be "the" guide for the exam and instead trying to concentrate on learning the questions/answers.

Sigh.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well good luck to him in the real world
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]