Options

Cisco Router 837?

BeanyBeany Member Posts: 177
Morning,

just a quick question, i have this router at home and was wondering if this will good enough to use for my ICND1 router studying?

If not, what cheap router can i buy?

regards

Comments

• Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□

The 851, 871 are good, the 830 series may be also, I just looked at the spec sheet for yours ,it looks like it has the potential to be a good lab router. The main thing for it is if it can run a 12.4 IOS. As far as I know if it has enough memory in it that you can load the 12.4 IOS it should run. Check what your memory you have now, learn to do some copy commands, R1#copy flash: tftp commands. If you have enough memory for the 12.4 IOS get one and try to load it up. If it does not have enough memory you should do more research,, before you buy any new memory.
    Cisco 830 Series Secure Broadband Routers* [Cisco 800 Series Routers] - Cisco Systems

2621xm, 2651xm are the cheapest lab favorites.

They have a 12.4 IOS available for your 837 you should be good to go, but you need a service contract to get it, you will need to keep looking eleswere for the IOS

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=277822723&softwareid=280805680&release=12.4.25d&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=MD&reltype=latest
  • Options
    i got the 837 free from work. The 851, 871 seem way to expensive.

Is there a cheaper alternative, maybe a different muich cheaper router i can use for the last section of the book?
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Obviously new to Cisco, but i'll give it a go of installing this IOS
  • Options
    What would be sufficient amount of memory?
  • Options
    just found a spare 2503 router at work. can i use this?
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    You sure can.

If that 2503 isn't doing anything at work, get permission to bring it home.

It has an AUI port which = 10mb ethernet interface, but you'll need a "Transceiver" to use it.

You'll be able to learn and practice consoling into the router and managing it. Learn the basics of IOS commands, configuration, etc.

However, if you do become interested in networking and want to pursue more in-depth knowledge, (maybe some certs to go along) then that 2503 can only take you so far.

Think of it as Intro to Cisco 101. =)

Have fun!
    Mike
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    mapletune wrote: »
    You sure can.

If that 2503 isn't doing anything at work, get permission to bring it home.

It has an AUI port which = 10mb ethernet interface, but you'll need a "Transceiver" to use it.

You'll be able to learn and practice consoling into the router and managing it. Learn the basics of IOS commands, configuration, etc.

However, if you do become interested in networking and want to pursue more in-depth knowledge, (maybe some certs to go along) then that 2503 can only take you so far.

Think of it as Intro to Cisco 101. =)

Have fun!
    Mike

what does a transceiver do? why is it needed?

So you're saying using a 2503 will be fine for me for ICND1 CCENT?