Options

entry level alcatel routing certification

Hi all. I've recently been given an opportunity to work on some alcatel routing gear. (haven't started yet) I'm interested in an entry level routing certification and was hoping someone could send me in the right direction. What would be a good entry level cert for routing?

THANKS!

Comments

• Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    I'm sure this with help you a great deal. Alcatel-Lucent Service Routing Certification (SRC) Program
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're looking to go down the ALU certification route, the NRS1 is their entry level exam. Single test, I believe there is a published book to help with this exam if you really needed it. It's been a few years since I've done any ALU exams, but I remember the NRS1 exam: Alcatel-Lucent Scalable IP Networks to be pretty easy. Maybe somewhere between a Network+ and a CCNA. Possibly even easier. I don't think it focused too much on the hardware and software and a lot of the exam was on general networking. I'll try to look for my score report and see what the topics looked like.

If you can get a couple ALU exams done they will send you a pretty cool plaque. At least they did a few years ago.
  • Options
    anubhav65anubhav65 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI I just want to ask did any body of you gave the exam and how many questions it had and how much time ?
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work with Alcatel-Lucent gear daily along side Cisco gear. Most do not have experience or know much about ALU and their TiMOS operating systems because it is very service provider centric. Unless you have a job supporting hundreds of thousands to millions of customers with your network than you have probably never heard of ALU IP equipment.

Their OS is fantastic and their SAM 5620 management platform is so extensible and useful that it makes me cringe to used Cisco Prime Infrastructure at times.

Their NRS 1 book is a great read and recommended if you work with their gear. I have not taken the exams yet, but many on my team have in the past when they would go to SRXPerts (ALU version of Cisco Live)

Their CCNP level exam covers many service provider topics and the tests are broken our into separate sections with everything culminating on a hands on lab. I do not know much of the lab, but it is not the CCIE. They have another advanced lab for later.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Their OS is fantastic and their SAM 5620 management platform is so extensible and useful that it makes me cringe to used Cisco Prime Infrastructure at times.

First time I've ever heard anyone say they thought TiMOS was fantastic! The CLI is not very intuitive and SAM is so buggy.

As far as certifications, they sent us through some of their training classes and the material is pretty good. I haven't taken the exams, but judging from the material it is not on the level of difficulty of a Cisco exam. I'd guess it's more along the lines of the Juniper exams.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I work with IOS, IOS XE, IOS XR, and Times every day. I really enjoy TiMOS, there is something about the command structure I like. IOS XR moved in a similar direction as TiMOS when comparing it to IOS. SAM 5620 is amazing! You can provision all sorts of services through the GCI and the scripting is so powerful. We script our entire network through SAM whether it be Cisco or ALU. I used ALU SAM 5620 and Cisco Prime Infrastructure daily as well and SAM kicks it's butt. It is fantastic!

I use other OSSs as well such as Nokia NetAct for 4g services, Ericsson OSS-RC, Ericsson CEM - CAD, etc. And ALU SAM is fantastic!
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    I use all of those and more every day as well, XR, XE, IOS, Junos etc. TiMOS has to be the least user friendly of them all by a mile. Not a big fan of most GUIs and SAM is no different. Just too buggy.
  • Options
    anubhav65anubhav65 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wanna ask is their any question bank available for this exam which i can study coz I just joined Alcatel and I told my Project head that I am a CCNA he instantly challenged me that if I can do this certification within a week he will increase my compensation by a great margin ....please anybody help bcoz within a week I cant study their whole manual and give the exam coz of busy hectic schedule........
  • Options
    If by question bank you mean actual questions and answers to the test you won't find that here. We do not condone cheating exams.
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sure this with help you a great deal. Alcatel-Lucent Service Routing Certification (SRC) Program

The new company I work with use Alcatel equipment alot. I am going to research this further. This certification may be worth getting after I get my CCNA.

Thanks for the info.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't recommend studying for Alcatel certs, the company changes direction too much. I worked for them for 5 years, better to get main stream certs unless you actually work for Alcatel. I used to be an expert on the 5620NMS, used for managing atm network, never touched the SAM, i left around the time that came along. Funny with SDN coming, networking is reverting back to a central management server, feels like i'm going back in time. When i started on Cisco it was all about moving everything from the cpu to the line card, now its going in the opposite direction lol.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    The ALU SAM Server has the model. Number 5620..... Service Aware Manager
    CISSP, CCNA SP