Options

Would these 1700s be good for CCENT/CCNA home lab

beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was just wondering what you guys thought of this lab for CCENT/CCNA studies. I was even thinking of maybe using some of this for CCNA Voice too maybe but they seem like they would be good for a home lab. I could maybe do some switching stuff in Packet Tracer maybe. What do you guys think.6 x Cisco Router 1700

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    200 bucks is pretty steep for a few 1700's.

If you are going to spend a few 100 bucks I'd hunt down a few 2600xm's and a 2950G switch.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    huafisthuafist Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed ; I picked up two 2610XM's on ebay for $120, and another for $45.
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    200 bucks is pretty steep for a few 1700's.

If you are going to spend a few 100 bucks I'd hunt down a few 2600xm's and a 2950G switch.
    Yea I was just thinking about that too. I will try ebay again. Thanks
  • Options
    huafist wrote: »
    Agreed ; I picked up two 2610XM's on ebay for $120, and another for $45.
    or I could buy one router and use it in GNS3.
  • Options

I've used GNS3 quite a bit, but I really prefer to have the real hardware. You can simulate failures that you can't simulate with an emulator.
  • Options

Thats cool. I have had a lot of ccna classes in the past so I have a basic idea of all the hardware and all. I'll see what deals I can find. I'm thinking maybe 2 routers and 2 switches for ICND1 maybe for now.
  • Options

Honestly, I passed ICND1 with nothing but GNS3 and NetSimK for simulators - no real hardware. It's completely doable.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    The one pictured on the website is a 16MB Flash 1721.

From what i recall, you need 32MB Flash to run IPv6 IOS.

As for your question, for the CCENT/CCNA, you can do many many things on Packet Tracer. For some people, that's all they need.

Now, if you are serious about making a home lab, then you might want to look elsewhere. The main reason is: lack of details.

We don't know the DRAM/FLASH on any of the equipment listed for sale. We only know "one of the 1700" is a 1721 16F.

We don't know what kind of WICs the other 5 routers have. And this will be important.

my only advice: Think about the specific details on "why" you need a physical home lab. Then shop to meet that goal.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options

Thanks for your feedback, I may just use Packet Tracer for ICND1 and then put together a lab for ICND2. A lof of my friends have just used PAcket Tracer for ICND1.