Options

Cisco 2691 price question

mtehonicamtehonica Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm setting up a CCNA/CCNA:Voice/CCNP lab and am looking to add some routers. I currently have (3) 3550 switches and (1) 2650xm router. Is $80 a good deal on a Cisco 2691? It should be able to run 12.4 fine and possibly serve as a frame relay switch if I add a bunch of serial WIC cards. Any comments would be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    If you are looking for just a frame relay router a nonXM 2610 would do fine. They can be acquired on eBay for about 30/40 shipped.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Just adding a comment since i was just considering this problem about frame relay labs yesterday.

I think that Network Module cards are cheaper per port vs going the multiple WIC-1/2T or WIC-2A/S.

You can get NM-4 A/S or NM-8A/S quite cheaply.

NM-4T is not compatible with 2600 platform, but if you have 3600, then that's an option as well.

Many people use 2522, however, unless they are dirt cheap, I don't see much value in buying another 2500 platform if you have some Modular Routers with unused NM-slots lying around.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    I always thought that in a lab environment that the nm-4a/s or the nm-8a/s would be fast enough. Then again that is with my limited knowledge.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Patel128 wrote: »
    I always thought that in a lab environment that the nm-4a/s or the nm-8a/s would be fast enough. Then again that is with my limited knowledge.

This is my impression as well. For CCNA, you don't really care what the throughput of your links are as long as they work.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    You are all very correct.

but when you are on budget, then every option should be considered, right? =p

I've seen NM-4T that are cheaper than NM-4A/S. (maybe because 4T's are not compatible with all modular routers)

So hey, if you do happen to have a compatible router, and find a NM-4T that's cheaper than the alternative NM-4A/S; by all means do get it! =D

Cheers,
    Mike

(the same cannot be said for NM-2T vs NM-2A/S... 2T's are generally more expensive...)
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    I always thought that the Ts were more expensive till maybe a few seconds ago looking on eBay. Good looking out. Cheaper and faster might as well get some.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading: