Options

The next big thing...

GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
So, I have arrived. As some of you know from following my posts, started a new job recently as a IT manager (which rocks!), and just passed the CIPP/IT exam.

In the November timeframe, I'm looking to restart MBA classes, but I also want to add some additional certifications and expertise to my resume.

My choices are:

ISSAP - aka the CISSP merit badges. I don't think I should get the ISSMP if I already have the CISM. The ISSAP is a interesting beast - it could segway into a security architect role, but I'm not sure if I would want to do it. I feel like I should have the CCDA as well before I could do that, and the CCNP.
PMP - I dislike projects in general, but somehow I end up working on them, starting them, and running them. Eh. I feel medium about this, but I could get excited about this if I were to gain a good skillset.
CCNA/CCNP:Security - I would like this because I feel like I have a lot of the managerial certifications, but would like to beef up my normal "technical" skillset.
CEH - More of a technical certification, but I feel that with study I could knock this one out.

Hopefully by the end of next year I'll be done my MBA, and then we'll see. I'm not sure money is really my motivating factor - what's important to me is spending time with my wife and 3 month old son. Right now I'm at the sweet spot - working 40 hrs a week, good job, good pay, but I feel that in order to advance up and make more money, I'd have to work more hours. Eh, not sure how I feel about it.

What thoughts do people have on the next cert I should shoot for, or even ones that aren't on the list as well?

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying the new job. With the amount of time and effort that is spent at work, it always helps that one likes the job.

If you are like me and you miss the hands-on work, perhaps the CCNA may be a tangential diversion from something that is specific to the job, like your other past certs.

Enjoy the baby while you can, they do grow up fast icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IMO MBA is a bigger ROI and you just got a manager job and a new son. So my vote would be to finish your MBA then get back on certs

Grats BTW!!!!!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    I agree with webgeek. Knock out the mba then get started with certs. I just came across this site, I'm sure it can help you a great deal. 10 Certifications to Improve Your IT Career
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)