Has anyone tried out any of these linux distros?

computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
13 weird and wonderful niche Linux distros | News | TechRadar

I would like try out scientific linux. What distros would you like to try out?
There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)

Comments

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Scientific Linux is pretty much the same as using Red Hat.
  • computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    O ok. I don't have much experience with linux except for using ubuntu a little bit.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How are Gentoo and Scientific Linux "weird / niche distros"? They are as mainstream as it gets...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • kartheek426kartheek426 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yes gentoo and scientific linux is same as redhat
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    How are Gentoo and Scientific Linux "weird / niche distros"? They are as mainstream as it gets...
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would have guessed 'Linux from scratch' would have made a list like that and not Gentoo or as mentioned, Scientific Linux. LFS really gives people a challenge and is certainly 'niche'. :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think most people consider LFS a distro since nothing is actually distributed per se.

Interesting list... I am sure everyone has their favourite weird distro that they like. I personally like tomsrtbt but I've customized it to the point of non-recognition.

@chooselife - agreed. Gentoo is pretty mainstream. I guess what makes it weird is that it compiles everything as it installs. Yellowdog is pretty mainstream too. It used to be the defacto distro for Macs.

@computerg33k- I've used gentoo and yellowdog from your list. Both are decent. It really depends on your goals. Linux distros are basically just someone's opinion of what makes a good Linux-based OS or to solve a specific problem statement.

And you know what they say about opinions icon_wink.gif
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    I used Pardus for a looong time and was one of the best i have experinced so far
    Pardus | Özgürlük