Options

today officially begins my first day at WGU

2»

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm glad I don't have to take a math course. I can't imagine how it must be to learn online about it. Reading it just bores me to death
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Well the math class wasn't so bad. It was suprisingly well taught, during the homework section they actually broke down the question interactivly with you and made you answer slowly step by step and then tossed you in (even gave hints when you were wrong). My first pre-test in it I got a 67 but my second (only 1 1/2 weeks later) was a breezy 77%

I was dreading it initially but, now I'm starting to think it might actually be one of the easier classes.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    I'm almost all the way through the Project+ class materials (TPV1) so I'll be registering to sit for that class on Monday most likely. I have to go to Microsoft sometime next week so i don't know when I'll be able to take the test though....
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    Nice on the math class!

On a side note, I got access to dreamspark. I'm very surprised they have the Microsoft office suite on it.
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm extremely interested in WGU and the IT Security degree, and after I finish moving into my new apartment next month and get settled in for a month or so, I really want to sign up and get the ball rolling. I went to ITT Tech and that was the worst mistake of my life, but what's done is done, can't go back now.

So pardon my ignorance, I have a couple questions about WGU, which may be standard knowledge for some. I'm assuming they just have two 6 month terms per year? Do you have to sign up for all your classes before the beginning of the term, or can you finish a class during the term and sign up for another while the term is 'in progress'?

I'm assuming there's homework and quizzes? Those are what really and truly help me learn and reinforce the material into my head.

Sorry if those are dumb questions, and I know I can probably ask a mentor all that stuff, but I just want to get a feel before I dive in. Thanks :)
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Keep up the good work everyone!
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    theanimal I would suggest to get the process started now to see what get's transferred. With that knowledge you can select or push back when you want to start and/or work on classes before you start using clep, straightline, certifications.

Yes there are two six month terms and if need be you can take a break between those terms. You will choose at least 12 CU (3-4 classes) after your term begins and after you finish those classes you can accelerate your term by adding more. Yes you can say there are homework and quizzes but they will be task that you submit through taskstream and test you take using your webcam supplied by the school or at an authorized testing center.

I would suggest reading or searching through the two sticky post at the top of this subsection.
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    KeithC wrote: »
    theanimal I would suggest to get the process started now to see what get's transferred. With that knowledge you can select or push back when you want to start and/or work on classes before you start using clep, straightline, certifications.

Yes there are two six month terms and if need be you can take a break between those terms. You will choose at least 12 CU (3-4 classes) after your term begins and after you finish those classes you can accelerate your term by adding more. Yes you can say there are homework and quizzes but they will be task that you submit through taskstream and test you take using your webcam supplied by the school or at an authorized testing center.

I would suggest reading or searching through the two sticky post at the top of this subsection.

I will take a look at them, thanks. I had never seen about CLEP before, I will have to look into it. From the research I've done, Straightline just allows you to take college courses for English, Math, and other standard classes for a fraction of the cost, is that correct? I'm assuming that both the CLEP and Straightline credits will transfer to WGU. If I then decide to pursue a M.S. from a local college, will everything xfer there with no problem?

Edit: I'm still reading through those threads, but just wanted to clarify on the question I had asked earlier. So if I am taking a class that I find simple and am learning quickly, I can finish it as fast as I want to, test out, and then add on another course?
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    As for everything transferring to a M.S. I am unsure, but transferring CLEP and straighterline yes that is why I suggested to start the process now so you can see what classes will remain.
    So if I am taking a class that I find simple and am learning quickly, I can finish it as fast as I want to, test out, and then add on another course?
    Yes to a degree* you will be able to add more classes to your term (aka accelerate).

*There will be 2-3 days to get a voucher number for a certification, I think to take a gen ed test using the webcam or at a proctored school could take a week, your homework (aka task) submitted through taskstream (third party) could take 2-4+ business days to be graded.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    About 3 weeks for everything.
    It took well over a month for me. Did you have to go through their "verification process"?

I am looking at going and will be going for financial aide. Did you get any grants, free money, etc? Or is it strictly loans?
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    I just started EWB today also. I'm also waiting for my Mentor to contact me; I'm kind of curious how that is going to work out with me being on Guam.
    I'll keep you posted.
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    Zena84Zena84 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I haven't started yet, I'm starting in oct 1st. So I'm trying to learn allot now so I would know exactly.how to deal with everything that pops up on me then.
  • Options
    Zena84Zena84 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh yeah and good luck to everyone!!!!!!
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Im waiting for my mentor to approve vouchers for IT fundamentals 1-3. I cant studying for this stuff. it's so boring. Im ready to delve into much harder stuff or at least more interesting. " not how do you resolve user can't print"
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    It took well over a month for me. Did you have to go through their "verification process"?

There was a hang up on mine somewhere. Actually had them push my start date up 1 month since my official first month it was still not processed yet. Took a few calls to get it fixed.
  • Options
    Took my first proctored exam at home today and passed.

I've been having some issues with my internet connection lately and my latency was fluctuating pretty bad. My test got paused once because I didn't have the camera set up to show my keyboard and mouse.

Latency jumped from 95ish to the 900's, up and down and up and down. Camera froze a couple times too.