Options

IT Career Mapping

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
IT career mapping done right - Computerworld I wish more companies would do this. Heck, I wish my company did this.

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wish my company did something like this as well icon_sad.gif, it would give me even more motivation to learn and move up in the ranks.
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    At one time wish my company had higher positions to move into. icon_rolleyes.gif
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    I would love to work for a company with this kind of plan. I keep asking my current company what I have to do and I get vague answers like school or more education. I already have a degree and a CCNA, but they won't give me anymore information than that. It's very frustrating.
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Jackace wrote: »
    I would love to work for a company with this kind of plan. I keep asking my current company what I have to do and I get vague answers like school or more education. I already have a degree and a CCNA, but they won't give me anymore information than that. It's very frustrating.

Since your company isn't helping, maybe try helping your self. Ask yourself what you're interested in learning and look up certs in a search engine . After you do that take the information to employer to show that your being pro active and interested in moving into a position with more responsibilities.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    Since your company isn't helping, maybe try helping your self. Ask yourself what you're interested in learning and look up certs in a search engine . After you do that take the information to employer to show that your being pro active and interested in moving into a position with more responsibilities.

Oh I have. I finished my CCNA earlier this year and I'm taking CCNA Security today. My company paid for both, but when I asked to take on more responsibility and put my certifications to use they said no.
  • Options
    How's the work environment where you work? I find surprising that a company doesn't want to see an employee move up the ladder. Have you thought about looking for another job with a different company?

Also, good luck with the exam.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    How's the work environment where you work? I find surprising that a company doesn't want to see an employee move up the ladder. Have you thought about looking for another job with a different company?

Also, good luck with the exam.

Thanks

The company is very laid back. They don't expect you to do anything they didn't hire you to do. They want people to move up, but the time frame within the company is too long. The last person to get from where I am up to Networking took 15 years before they gave him a shot. I have only been here 2. I don't want to wait that long so I have been looking for a new job, but I'm in Idaho there isn't much going on as far as network jobs in this area.
  • Options
    mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just wish there was a way to move up at my job without someone retiring or getting fired...
  • Options
    Jackace wrote: »
    Thanks

The company is very laid back. They don't expect you to do anything they didn't hire you to do. They want people to move up, but the time frame within the company is too long. The last person to get from where I am up to Networking took 15 years before they gave him a shot. I have only been here 2. I don't want to wait that long so I have been looking for a new job, but I'm in Idaho there isn't much going on as far as network jobs in this area.

Is relocating an option for you? Have you tried applying at hospitals in your area? Also, check out dice.com every once while and see if a networking job pops up.
  • Options
    Is relocating an option for you? Have you tried applying at hospitals in your area? Also, check out dice.com every once while and see if a networking job pops up.

I'm working on finances for relocation now. I have been looking for a new job since the beginning of the year. I see about 1-2 new jobs pop up a month. I apply for them all, but have only had 3-4 interviews. I do well in the interviews, but I'm competing with people who have 10+ years experience and the small employers of the area always choose the person with experience over someone with no experience. I have applied to the local hospitals, utility companies, ISPs, MSPs, and the 4-5 larger corporations in the area and nothing. I have run dry on options in this area.