Options

Need some guidance on the CompTIA A+

KrysuneKrysune Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Alright this would be my FIRST ever certification, and this is from what I have heard the most basic IT certification you can get? And this certification is on my level of knowledge so I'm shooting for that.

My main question is, how would I obtain this? I'm still in high school for one, is it obtained from possibly a junior college? I'm not really familiar on how the education system works, but eh I'm trying to figure all this out. I would rather do this in person than via online, just need some suggestions on what to do.

I live in Houston, Texas if that gives any kind of help.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Krysune wrote: »
    My main question is, how would I obtain this?
    Buy a book on the A+, study it, pay for and schedule your exam, take your exam. Alternatively, do not buy the book, and instead make many visits to your favorite bookseller to read it. :p
    I'm still in high school for one, is it obtained from possibly a junior college?
    There is no age requirement.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alternatively, do not buy the book, and instead make many visits to your favorite bookseller to read it. :p

Talking from experience??? lol icon_razz.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Buy a book on the A+, study it, pay for and schedule your exam, take your exam. Alternatively, do not buy the book, and instead make many visits to your favorite bookseller to read it. :p

There is no age requirement.

=P What book would you recommend on getting to study for this?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    webgeek wrote: »
    Talking from experience??? lol icon_razz.gif
    I still remember my "starving student" phase. ;)
    Krysune wrote: »
    =P What book would you recommend on getting to study for this?
    Can't help there.
  • Options
    I still remember my "starving student" phase. ;)

Can't help there.

Ah, well hopefully someone else can, if not I guess I'm off to searching and reading some reviews on some books to get an idea.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can't help there.

Sorry can't help either...its been a while since I took my A+ but it requires two tests to achieve.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    Get the most recent book by Mike Meyers for the A+ Certification. It's a good read and will cover pretty much everything you need to know. It's a bit lengthy but he's pretty good at keeping your attention.
  • Options
    webgeek wrote: »
    Sorry can't help either...its been a while since I took my A+ but it requires two tests to achieve.

It's fine, I appreciate the help given already. Gave me A LOT BETTER idea than before!
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike Meyers A+ certification guide Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) (9780071701334): Michael Meyers: Books

www.pearsonVUE.com to register for the test and book your exam at a local pearsonVUE center.

Sample Questions sample A+ questions from CompTIA
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Lots of great information already posted!

I'll quickly add: A new version of the A+ is about to launch in late September or mid-October. The new versions will be the 801 and 802 test and there are books out now that cover the new material. If I were you, I would study for the new test since it is the most up to date content. Be sure to download the objectives from the official CompTIA website. It really helped me to learn the acronyms first before diving into the material. I would use a book such as Mike Myers All-In-One.

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-Edition-220-801-220-802/

When you need a break from the books you can supplement with some great free videos from Professor Messer. Do not rely solely on the videos. I would say they are merely a quick-refresher.

Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training

I've also heard good things about the Exam Cram book especially for practice questions. When you are finally ready to take the test you can take a small sample of practice questions from the official CompTIA website. Only take this test when you are 100% prepared. If you pass this test then I would say you are definitely ready for the real exam.

Most importantly, do not ****. At such a young age that would be an extremely bad habit to develop. It is pretty easy to run into a test bank without knowing that it is one. They are often referred to as braindumps.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Krones wrote: »
    Lots of great information already posted!

I'll quickly add: A new version of the A+ is about to launch in late September or mid-October. The new versions will be the 801 and 802 test and there are books out now that cover the new material. If I were you, I would study for the new test since it is the most up to date content. Be sure to download the objectives from the official CompTIA website. It really helped me to learn the acronyms first before diving into the material. I would use a book such as Mike Myers All-In-One.

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-Edition-220-801-220-802/

When you need a break from the books you can supplement with some great free videos from Professor Messer. Do not rely solely on the videos. I would say they are merely a quick-refresher.

Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training

I've also heard good things about the Exam Cram book especially for practice questions. When you are finally ready to take the test you can take a small sample of practice questions from the official CompTIA website. Only take this test when you are 100% prepared. If you pass this test then I would say you are definitely ready for the real exam.

Most importantly, do not ****. At such a young age that would be an extremely bad habit to develop. It is pretty easy to run into a test bank without knowing that it is one. They are often referred to as braindumps.

Thanks for this.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I passed the A+ a few weeks ago (and just got the certification from the mail maybe 5 min ago) I used the Mike Meyers book, the exam cram book, the exam cram practice questions, and Professor Messers videos. With all of that I felt VERY confident when I went to take the 2 exams.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    Patel128 wrote: »
    I passed the A+ a few weeks ago (and just got the certification from the mail maybe 5 min ago) I used the Mike Meyers book, the exam cram book, the exam cram practice questions, and Professor Messers videos. With all of that I felt VERY confident when I went to take the 2 exams.

How long did it take you to get prepared for it?
  • Options
    I honestly could of done it in a month to a month and a half. In reality it took it like 3 months because I was in school/summer school/procrastination.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    Patel128 wrote: »
    I honestly could of done it in a month to a month and a half. In reality it took it like 3 months because I was in school/summer school/procrastination.
    Ah, yeah.

I'll most likely be getting the book and that cram book as well. Start reading them everyday or so, until I feel confident enough to go and take the test. I feel as if this is almost like getting ready for your driving test. LOL
  • Options
    Yeah. It is a lot of memorization. Honestly, the test was pretty easy. I was all worked up before the test but a few questions in and I was good.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    ginamiahginamiah Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed last month and used the exam cram book exclusively with Messer's videos to help.

I don't know your background but if you have some IT knowledge the exam cram book has more than enough information, i can't imagine reading a more in depth book on the topic. There are 3 practice exams included in the book and 3 on CD as well.

If you feel confident i would recomend reading the exam cram, taking the practice tests, then research online / watch Messer's videos on the topics you struggle with.

I appretiate the larger books for more advanced certs (Currently reading Lammle's CCNA and love it), but I think they're unnecesary for the A+ cert.

Good luck!
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I read Mike Mayers book, take same practice exams, and passed them in 3 weeks. But i knew most of the stuff from experience. I just didnt remember the technical details like usb speed rates etc.. so read the book, take notes for important stuff and take practice exam. You are good to go.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)