Options

New to the IT World

CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

So I recently decided to pursue IT training for the prospect of moving up the ladder in my current job field. I've been working various roles in public safety for about eight years now. My dream job is at the federal level and looks for people with certain skill sets, one of which in VERY high demand is computer networking (specifically those with a CCNP or CCIE). I have no formal training in IT and have no real experience apart from setting up a home network, doing some programming in Python, and repairing computers and gaming systems back in high school.

After learning all about the Cisco certifications, I picked up a copy of CBT Nugget's CCNA training program and have been enjoying it immensely. My main question is, how feasible is it for someone like me, with no IT work experience, and a Bachelor's in an unrelated field (Business Administration and Political Science) to eventually obtain my CCNP? Also, how is CBT's training program? Is it enough to pass the exam, or will I need additional resources? (It contains about 30-40 hours of training, but some of my friends say CCNA takes over 400 hours of formal training to pass.)

I know real experience goes a long way. A very successful friend of mine started out by volunteering at local non-for-profit companies to help out with their tech troubles and gained enough experience to eventually start his own consulting company and start charging larger and more profitable organizations. He has been recommending that I should follow a similar course of action.

I know this has been a long ramble, but any feedback would be great. I'd love to hear how you guys got started, especially if you're like me and just jumped right into training without much work experience.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Welcome to IT and to TE.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello and welcome to TE.

Everyone here started with no experience icon_wink.gif And many including myself don't have a college degree. While I cannot comment on getting a CCNP, jumping into training is one way to start. I personally started by looking for a job in IT, my focus was software engineering but most like myself started in an entry-level support role.

If network engineering is what you wish to pursue, I would say - just start. Labbing is key for most training so you are gonna see advice about getting a good simulator or buying a lab kit.

Good luck!
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I was a Civil Engineering major, and i'll be aiming for the CCIE eventually =p

I think it depends on how much something interests you and how badly you want it.

That said, welcome to TE and good luck on your pursuit! =D
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would say that you probably won't pass the CCNA/CCNP with the CBT Nuggets alone. I would recommend picking up the books for the exams and getting either a lab or simulator. Good luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com