Options

CBT Nuggets

2»

Comments

• Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I did read his post and I am pretty sure
    SWrider wrote: »
    Right now I am not very involved in networking. I deal mostly with industrial automations and Siemens products but I did have the chance to redesign our network, which included 3 switch stacks and 5 servers running Windows Server 2003. And from then on just basic maintenance.
    does not count as a good amount of experience that I would say that CBT Nuggets would be enough. The OP did finish the Cisco Net Academy about 1.5 years ago. Based off of that I would still say to brush up on everything and read Cisco Press/Sybex
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    neoteslaneotesla Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Patel128 wrote: »
    <...> ICND1 Cisco Press book<...>
    I have found their review questions at the end of each chapter useful. Also, as most others, I've used CBT Nuggets in combo with the mentioned books (particularly the Odom). Soon (in a week or so), I'll see how all that worked out for me. I did put a lot of work in, but am still able to silly mistakes (as evidenced by the test questions). The most annoying type of mistake is when you know something, and you still get it wrong (mostly thru lack of concentration).
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    neotesla wrote: »
    I have found their review questions at the end of each chapter useful. Also, as most others, I've used CBT Nuggets in combo with the mentioned books (particularly the Odom). Soon (in a week or so), I'll see how all that worked out for me. I did put a lot of work in, but am still able to silly mistakes (as evidenced by the test questions). The most annoying type of mistake is when you know something, and you still get it wrong (mostly thru lack of concentration).

I agree about the mistake when you know it and still get it wrong. Passing is a package process and you have to have each variable or element. Starts off with needing ro have sufficient interest and then the continued concentration up to test day. This concentration part is underrated and seldom discussed but I think needs discussing because there are so many stages. There is TRUELY no magic pill that will get us through it, dedication (since its over a long time period) and people need to realize that concentrating on a dry subject is very difficult. It is not just the interest that has to be super good but the continued concentration- a package deal. Anyone who passes truely deserves the framed copy of a milestone.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What I dont like about the Odom book for ICND1 was that I could have sworn that a paragraph would say the same thing 3 times in 3 different ways, i.e encapsulation is ... ... is encapsulation, the process of ... is encapsulation.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    What I dont like about the Odom book for ICND1 was that I could have sworn that a paragraph would say the same thing 3 times in 3 different ways, i.e encapsulation is ... ... is encapsulation, the process of ... is encapsulation.

I agree and have went as far as not recommending Odom when OTHER substantial sources have been identified such as Testout.com for example. I find Odom writing style to be REPETITIVE(not in a good way either but in the way explained above) which makes it BORING and what makes it so bad is people have said there were items Odom did not cover at all that were on the exam or Odom did not emphasize enough. Point is he spends our time superfluously on needless verbosity and then ends up missing things or not emphasizing things but rather will repeat things like what SephStorm said! What odom doesn't get right is if you're going to repeat, atleast do it for difficult subjects and be complete! Not a great author, imo. I just think our time can be better spent with other more concise and still complete resources. He just doesn't exude a "I got this" feeling as you read..
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Illumanati wrote: »
    I agree and have went as far as not recommending Odom when OTHER substantial sources have been identified such as Testout.com for example. I find Odom writing style to be boring, repetitive(not in a good way either but in the way explained above) and what makes it so bad is people have said there were items Odom did not cover at all that were on the exam. Point is he spends our time superfluously and then ends up missing things or not emphasizing things but rather will repeat things like what SephStorm said! Not a great author, imo. I just think our time can be better spent with other more concise and still complete resources. What odom doesn't get right is if you're going to repeat, atleast do it for difficult subjects and be complete! He just doesn't exude a "I got this" feeling as you read..

Illumanati - instead of constantly saying how bad his icnd1/icnd2 guides are (BEFORE even reading them), why don't you give us a review AFTER you read them (if you ever will) first instead of repeating opinions of others?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.