Backing up a deduped file system

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Here is the set up.

Windows server 2008 RC with a 8Tbye FC mapped LUN.

VSphere set up with a hosts datastore mapped to an NFS share on the above windows server.

a VMware DR appliance with a VMDK on the above NFS datastore.

So the VDR appliance is backing up to the VMDK which is on the LUN on the 2008 server...

that all works fine, until I go to backup the data on the windows server. I can't back up the LUN from the SAN server as its to dumb to allow that. So I have to back up the disk on the windows server that contains the VMDK, but of course when I do this using the wndows back up tool, it un-dedupes the data and then re-dedupes it making for a very slow back up.

So the question is, there a simple block level back up tool or other method to copy the VMDK files from the windows server in there native form so avoiding issues with any dudupe?

Cheers
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments