Options

How to study for the CCENT/CCNA. [Tutorial]

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also, the Cisco Exams are not the CompTIA exams. It's best to come into these certification exams expecting: "Im going to need to do this." It's just not theory. CompTIA is all theory. My Security+ was all multiple choice. I'm not bashin CompTIA exams, too. It's just not not a Cisco Exam.

Not to mention the testing style: You won't be able to go back and revisit questions. Which hold it's own difficulties to overcome... So you'll going to need to be able to confidently sit the test, and manage your time. Because you have 1 shot to answer that 1 question. The longer you think about it, the less time you have to spend on the rest of the exam. You may be running out of time, you may finish with 30 minutes left. You'll at the exam fighting your nerves, and trying to subnet correctly to troubleshoot an exam question. I remember going through the test just wishing the stress was off me.

I've heard of CCIE Lab takers saying "The first time is an expensive lunch". These people I would consider Veterns for Cisco exams, so they know they'll need to Lab a lot and know material inside and out.

Cisco Exams is different. Taking the ICND1 first I think holds multiple benefits:
    1. It's cheaper.
    1a. Retaking is less expensive.
    1b. Faster Recoop the expense.
    2. It's the introduction to the exam style.
    3. It's less material to study, lab, know.
    4. If you've passed the ICND1, you'll be more confident and less nervous about taking the exam. You've done it once. You can do it again. Even if you failed the ICND2. You still have something to show that you can pass. It may be a moral victory, but still riding that motivation helps!

The alternative:
    There are people that decided to earn their CCNA via the ICND1 and then the CCNA Composite. It's 150 more bucks, but it has the benefit of being less in-depth. If money isn't an issue, that might be the better way. I haven't taken the CCNA Composite to say how the two-test vs one-test feels like. Because I expect large pools of questions for all three exams.

As far as saying CCNA Composite is easier:
    They might be just as in depth in their questions for CCNA. I haven't seen someone say Yay or Nay by taking all three exams within a close time span to actually count on it. Although, logically I would say they wouldn't... but they are just questions, afterall.

Personally:
    For myself taking the ICND1/ICND2 route made sense. Mostly because the information is new, which I had a grasp of the basic topics from my old Net Acad days, just reading ICND1 was like I never took those classes.

I'm also paying for the exams out of my pocket - pass or fail, with no company benefits. Financial -wise. It's just too much for a test that I didn't have some "knowledge of". So earning my monopoly money and spending it on an expensive exam which haunted me since I never got to retest and pass had it's own mental blocks. I knew I wouldn't pass the CCNA, just due to the compounding pressure of everything.

For the record:
    I failed the first CCNA test back in 03' with the free test voucher. I couldn't retake due to the expense.
    I passed my ICND1.
    I failed my ICND2. Passed it the second time.

I spent 450 for my CCNA certification.

So just looking on the hind-sight of things I would've spent 600 dollars, more than likely, just to test. Maybe more- given the legal situations at the time (Roommate didn't want to pay for bill, and refused to move out). I might've seen myself forking over 900, or even 1200 for the letters. Not to mention the expense of CBT nuggets, books, labs, practice tests, simulators... Yes. I continue to throw everything I can into my Cisco studies :)

Edit:
    Im not saying that the two-test route is for everyone. Ultimately, it's how the person feels. They may want to go it a shot and go for everything at once. That's fine.

One-test or Two-Test, you'll still have the same CCNA certification :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you know you need the full-blown CCNA, "cheaper" and "less material" no longer apply. One or two tests, the cost is the same, and the content you must master is the same. In that case, you can recoup your expenses faster going the one-exam route. For me at least, having to sneak out of work twice for exams is also a factor to consider.
    1a. Retaking is less expensive.
    2. It's the introduction to the exam style.
    4. If you've passed the ICND1, you'll be more confident and less nervous about taking the exam.
    These are definitely valid. You have less invested if you fail, and you have a nice mid-way to CCNA milestone, especially if the CCNA is going to require a long road to conquer. The last couple colleagues who asked for advice, I steered towards the two-exam route.

it might also be true that fewer topics are covered on the single composite exam as well.
    That's a double-edged sword. You won't know if your copy of the exam will go deep into topic X (your strong one) or topic Y (your weak one). If you learn all the topics thoroughly, it won't matter which topics your particular exam focuses more on.

I like composites, because they force you to retain and demonstrate the full body of material the certification requires at once. I'm a big fan of the CCNP TSHOOT for precisely that reason, even though it doesn't introduce any new material. :)
  • Options
    Im looking forward to the TSHOOT, mostly just because it's all lab, from what i've heard atleast :D

Labbing I love. Multiple Choice.. meh.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    Added an example hardware configuration. Didn't include cabling. Do you have a better CCNA lab example? Post one here! I'll edit my main thread and give credit where credit is due. It's like a contest, but not really. Make sure to include cabling, links and all that jazz for bonus.

I've also added some information as to "How to console" into the hardware. It's help un-fog, and make things less complicated. Afterall, it's hard to use hardware if you can't get into the darn thing! It's probably the single piece of hardware every networker needs.

Also, shameless bump ;)

• Options
    cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Minor typo:

X2.2.C.d.1) Switch Models - 2950 or 2905C/T/G, 2960, 3550, 3560

BTW great thread.
  • Options

• Options
    BlowindoeBlowindoe Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    do you by any chance know if the the 101 CCNA lab workbook comes with the solutions to the labs as well?
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I do not think that the lab book has any kind of questions. It should just be a straight forward manual.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    do you by any chance know if the the 101 CCNA lab workbook comes with the solutions to the labs as well?

I don't know for certain about the eBook format, but I have the paper version. It has lab diagrams with scenario for you to make happen through the first part. The solutions (device configuration information) is provided in the back of the book. I 'assume' the eBook format also has the solutions since that would be the biggest reason for buying it over just looking at the scenarios themselves that are openly available on the author's website.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am also considering buying the 101 CCNA Lab book from Amazon, however when I emailed their customer support they stated that the solutions to the labs would not be included in the book. They said I would have to buy their premium package which costs over $200 and that would include video solutions to each of the labs.
  • Options
    sharkezosharkezo Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    man , that's a PERFECT post , very informative very practical , i learned a lot of stuff from it ,
    i like the way you showcase your point , you should be a writer lol

much respect.

P.S : this should be sticky
  • Options
    FloOz wrote: »
    I am also considering buying the 101 CCNA Lab book from Amazon, however when I emailed their customer support they stated that the solutions to the labs would not be included in the book. They said I would have to buy their premium package which costs over $200 and that would include video solutions to each of the labs.
    I suspect there is a miscommunication here as: (a) 101 CCNP Labs comes with solutions, (b) the description of 101 CCNA labs says it comes with solutions, (c) the Amazon reviews says it comes with solutions, and (d) a forum member above says it has solutions.

What they sell for an extra $200 are DVDs containing 6-hours of video walk-throughs of the labs. These can also be viewed if you subscribe to the site for $30/mo.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with you. I just dont understand why the rep isnt telling me that the book contains the solutions. Maybe they are just trying to get more cash out of me.
  • Options
    FloOz wrote: »
    I agree with you. I just dont understand why the rep isnt telling me that the book contains the solutions. Maybe they are just trying to get more cash out of me.
    The authors have always been straight-forward with me and treated me right the one time I had an issue regarding their services. If you're concerned, maybe just ask them what this line from their book-only product description means--

"Part 2 of the book is the solutions"
    (source: http://www.##########.net/products/item21.cfm)
  • Options
    ohmiharuohmiharu Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg , thanks for the motivational help while reading this thread. :) The entire time I was laughing because you was really on point of how I been feeling, thinking, & acting towards working on my CCNA. So far it's been 3 months, I been wishy washy on which test I should take the 2 separate tests or composite. But from reading this, I'll most likely take the separate ones because not all that confident about taking the composite. Only because I know the basics of Networking & not a full blown pro. But thank you again ! It makes me want to work even harder towards my goal now & to know I wasn't alone thinking like this !
    Current Certifications: Security+
    Obtaining for: CCNA
    Certification Goals: Linux+
  • Options
    erazzerazz Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the thread, a lot rings true....especially the fears and doubts that drawn out studying can do. I stayed in a desktop position for too long and am trying to change my future. Hopefully i'll be able to keep at it as trying to study after long days of work can be very trying.

One edit note, I'm assuming you meant CCNA instead of CCBA for the recommended books?

First the books: These are the most-often recommended books members at Tech-Exams gravitate towards:
    - Todd Lammle. CCBA Study Guide. 1 Book.
    - Wendell Odom. CCNA Offical Cert Library. 2 Books
  • Options
    staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Still need to get some routers. I've been using GNS3 in limited fashion but it just isn't the same!
  • Options
    Yes, the CCNA book, is what I was getting at.

I can't edit the thread anymore, so It'll have to be CCBA. You've got rep, though, for noticing!

• Options
    101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great thread Rougetadhg. icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
  • Options
    THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great thread Rougetadhg. You have given me some motivation to get back to icon_study.gif. THXicon_thumright.gif
    An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC
  • Options
    Those looking for some switch time check this out:
    Free Cisco Catalyst Switch Lab

It's run by a member: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/85049-help-lab.html

• Options
    SkydivingcowsSkydivingcows Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Yes, the CCNA book, is what I was getting at.

I can't edit the thread anymore, so It'll have to be CCBA. You've got rep, though, for noticing!

Have you considered starting a new thread, pasting all the information in with spelling edits, and reserving the first three posts? You can always mention that and link back to this older post.

You may want to mention the "post your lab pics" thread for those looking to build their own lab. It certainly helps to get an idea of what people are using and how it is all hooked up in a rack and to get an idea of cables needed.

Also, you want to list INE as "currently free" instead of paid and consider changing the link for the bryant advantage to the homepage of his website.

Just a thought anyway, This thread was very helpful and I believe it should be stickied.
  • Options
    I'd rather not invoke the wrath of the mods by creating a duplicate thread. In all seriousness - there's going to be a time limit for editing and deleting. It's just too much for me to keep recreating, and changing.

Simply put: It'll add confusion for the persons I'm trying to help by having multiple semi-identical named threads. I'm sure not everyone will read all the pages, so if I said "You can go here for the newest version..." I'm sure there'll be posts that'll ignore that and then continue to add stuff.

When it boils down to it: This thread is to have others help others. You've already suggested good stuff, as such I do try to reward those with rep points. It's the most immediate reward I can give for helping others.

I know I've seen that people don't want to read something as long as this. That's fine. However, As far as someone not wanting to read all the pages. They need to get on their big pants and figure out that reading this thread is just a tip of the iceberg for what they're about to embark on. If they can't come to terms to reading 4 pages of helpful advice from many point of views... I doubt they'll be able to survive the time investment of getting the CCNA.

• Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure about the usefulness of the switches, but the 2500 series routers only support up to 12.3 IOS. The recommended IOS version for CCENT/CCNA prep is 12.4. This thread provides a good gear outline, but I would also recommend Wendell Odoms blog. He provides a good comparison of the various hardware options.
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
  • Options
    I don't recommend Ebay kits. I've just heard of too many horror stories that it makes me cringe at the thought.

1. Always be skeptical
    2. It doesn't tell you anything about the hardware. Other than "Guaranteed" and the models.
    - Memory sizes
    - show commands, bootup
    - IOS versions (Hard to do
    - Ports powered on.

Depending how much $171 means to you, the risk may be reasonable.

• Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Stay away from the 2500 series routers unless you're buying one as an access server. Just pick up the 1721s for $40 a piece and go to town.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Can't give you more rep yet, Zartanasaurus. Just know I have tried.

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pls make this thread sticky.