Options

How to study for the CCENT/CCNA. [Tutorial]

Comments

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Those looking for some switch time check this out:
    Free Cisco Catalyst Switch Lab

It's run by a member: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/85049-help-lab.html

This is very awesome. Thank you. I think i hit a snag. I telnet or putty into it, i get the welcome message. And it says it Return to enter, but all i get is ".............."

Please advise.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    itgl72itgl72 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like this thread, motivating.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/81860-free-cisco-catalyst-switch-lab.html

Is the original thread about the lab. I haven't tried using the lab myself (And won't be due to where my internet is)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This deserves a sticky IMO.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree, definitely worthy of a sticky. Not to sure why it isn't. Unless there is a limit to the amount of stickies any particular sub-forum can contain. I believe the CCNA/CCENT forum is the current champ with six. It's to bad if that is the case as this thread, and Subnetting Made Easy, have been a godsend for my studies. I guess I'll settle for having to bookmark them for now. :)
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
  • Options
    Looks like what I say becomes reality!

Mila Kunis should be in my bedroom.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□

Any luck???
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
  • Options
    101010 wrote: »
    Any luck???
    Just got back. Man I am worn out.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

I tried to set that up for you too, but no luck.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I have the ICND1 guide by Wendell Odom, the CCENT guide by Todd Lammle, and the Train Signal ICND1 videos.

What would be my best route to go about studying? Read the chapters in Wendell's book, then read the same chapter in Todd's book, then follow up with the videos? I'm sure this seems like a rather silly question but I just want to study the most effective way possible.
  • Options
    There's different ways to study. There's a LOT of methods for studying. I've seen books on this and became obsessed with that answer.

Yes, You can go ahead and draw pictures, and draw lists, and do fancy drawings with bubbles and the like but what really matters if that you spend the time to think about the material. Reading, Note taking, Labbing. Every time you exercise your knowledge you dig the knowledge into your mind.

At first, you need to keep learning the same material quite often, which will become progressively longer between. It'll get to the point where you really only need to look over the material and skim every year or so.

As far as your method of studying? Which ever feels the most comfortable. This will take trial and error. I'll be honest with you, I've gone through three certs - 4 if I want to include the one I didn't test and I still haven't found "Mine"
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello, This year.. I am going for it. I am starting from the ground level, and am going to do CCENT ICND1.. first... I "really" want to buy a older switch to practice on, rather then remote into someone else stack. With that said.. I'm looking on ebay at a few 2950.. for switches. Is there any other models that you guys can recommend? Are there any dealers other than the ones on ebay, that you can post here, or if not permissible on the forum, PM me? I'm looking in the $30.00 range.. free shipping would also be a plus. Thank You, and Thanks Roguetadhg for such a great thread!
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • Options
    best bet, check Craigslist otherwise!

• Options
    hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi,

this school has a certain course to prepare students for CCNA exam.

this is it >> Continuing Education Program 7390 - CISCO Certified Networking Associate

should i enroll in that program or should i self study, i have very limited knowledge about networking.
  • Options
    Rodzilla GRodzilla G Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg--Man I can't THANK YOU ENOUGH. For taking the time to outline everything. This will really help. As a man that went after his CCNA twice and failed, I guess my pride got the better of me. I mean I thought I could knock out the CCNA without any actual prior experience. I should have listen to my voice and went with the two test path in the beginning. Would have saved a ton of time, money and heartaches. All of these items will certainly help me in changing from looking at the composite test, into breaking it down into both test. You have no idea how much this will help guys like me. Your outline, again it's different for everyone, when it comes to actually taking on all the material...but you provide a great place to look for lots of material and insights if like me one chooses to self study. I have the drive, the determination, and now I will use the info you provide to help get these certs. A HUGE thanks again.

Rod
  • Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Great post, But i have a question, Can the post be updated to reflect the new exams being released? Meaning an update on the Equipment/Software available. I want to build a Home CCNA/CCNA:Security Lab sometime in the next month. I Need/Want it for my WGU journeys and will hopefully still use it in future (hopefully) CCNP labs. Any good setups that can be used for the newest and old CCNA and CCNA:sec exams? I'm still reading up on it but with all these changes, I get skeptical about buying things =\. Anyway, Great post!
  • Options
    Lab Recommendations (IOS 15) from Jeremy:
    New CCNA exams, chat with Jeremy Cioara - YouTube [I have it at the specific question]

"Do I have to go buy new equipment that runs IOS 15? No. No you do not."

As far as editing the post... I can't do that. I would, if I could.

• Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Great stuff, I saw the video, Thanks
  • Options
    simoncamsimoncam Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and have joined because of this thread, Roguetadhg thank you for a great write up!

This year I am planning to finally get my CCNA sorted and joined this forum for motivation and tips on how to stay motivated and get through it all icon_study.gif

I will be taking the two exams, icnd1 and icnd2 approach and am purchasing the Todd Lammle CCNA Edition 7 today.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Welcome to the forum, simoncam.

Good luck with your studies. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Thanks Xyro. This forum looks really good and I think it will help with my motivation issues...well my motivation to continue to the end ..I am a bull out of the gates when I start studying for a new exam haha.
    As mentioned above I purchased the book today...hopefully have it Monday. For ICDN1, next steps include:
    -break down book into 4 sections, associate each section with a week to complete
    -lock in week 5 and 6 for revision and extra study
    -book exam for end of week 6

Then lock in schedule for ICND2.

Very keen to stay on track and get the CCNA out of the way :)
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    No problem & for me it has been a great help, at least information-wise. "Bull out of the gates" lol. I like that.

Well at least that deadline of Sept. 30 should assist you also! (I'm assuming that you've read about the exam changes.)
  • Options
    tommyredtommyred Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Simon, Don't open the ICND2 book before you finish INCD1. I made that mistake and regretted it. Just stick with the task at hand, study ICND1 and when you start searching for hardware and dreaming about switches you know its on.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    I be armed. Got my package today. So happy. icon_cheers.gif

20130402111559.jpg
  • Options
    Xyro wrote: »
    No problem & for me it has been a great help, at least information-wise. "Bull out of the gates" lol. I like that.

Well at least that deadline of Sept. 30 should assist you also! (I'm assuming that you've read about the exam changes.)

Yep I have read the exam changes....honestly they seem rather minor...and nothing too drastic in variation....would you agree?
    I am deciding whether I study for the new ones or the current...logic says the new ones, but I feel that a CCNA cert will look the same whether I do either...hmmm . Would gladly like opinions on this...
  • Options
    tommyred wrote: »
    Simon, Don't open the ICND2 book before you finish INCD1. I made that mistake and regretted it. Just stick with the task at hand, study ICND1 and when you start searching for hardware and dreaming about switches you know its on.
    Good Luck!

Hi tommyred,
    Thanks for the tip!
    So I ordered (well work ordered icon_wink.gif) the Todd Lammle CCNA v7 book today, and I already have the official Cisco ICND1 v3 Odom book. My plan is to go through the ICND1 book first (while also comparing chapters with the Lammle book), then go through the Lammle CCNA book start to finish for the ICND2.
    Btw, the day I start dreaming bout switches and stop dreaming bout girls I will be concerned icon_surprised.gif haha
  • Options
    Linuxlover: You have a lot of the same books I have!

Simoncam: Welcome!
    1- I have to see the changes like this: If you're afraid of the changes, you're in the wrong area to work with. Technology will keep evolving. Keep up or be left behind!
    2- As far as making the exams more difficult: It's all difficult if you don't know it. Just means you'll need to spend more time with the material!

If you get a CCNA now, or CCNA after the changes you'll still have a CCNA. Some HR goons do look at the span of time you've had the CCNA exam as the longer the worse because of forgetting information. I feel that if you've passed your CCNA twice without any lapse, it could overcome that thought. But your CCNA is still a CCNA.

As far as dreaming about switches... You will. You'll also learn to love it, because you know how a switch operates like a back of your hand. Sure, little information like "How many second does...." will escape you, but the vast amount of information like "What's the difference of a switch and router?" You'll be able to go into great detail about the two. I find myself stumbling over words because there's just SO MUCH to say AND I'm excited about it. It makes it worse! I end up saying some jibberish because words just can not explain how I feel about the topics!

I will agree with tommyred: Open up the ICND1 first. Get through the book first. If you want to open the next book, go ahead. But don't go into the book with the thought of wanting to understand everything, or anything. Go in it and make whatever coloring, tabbing, etc. But don't read to read. ICND1 is an upwards climb. ICND2 is an upwards climb. Take it one base camp at a time. The time you give yourself to understand the basic foundations will follow you through the next exam.

I can't stress that enough: Understand the foundations in and out. If you go onto CCNP or CCIE the foundation knowledge will help out. I've read these books so I sort of know that I'm just not talking out of my butt!

• Options
    Roguetadhg: Thanks.
    Regarding your points:
    1 - I agree, if your afraid of change your in the wrong industry
    2 - new exam, old exam, still gotta study just as hard right haha

I have done the prep for the CCNA about 6 years ago and was well across everything but never got my CCNA....so it has been on my list to complete. Alot of it will be familiar and not a completely new start, though close to :)
  • Options
    xe3tecxe3tec Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,
    I am new too, just regged for all the nice Cisco Cert Threads and Stuff icon_cheers.gif
    Doing the CCNA in june I hope and maybe the CCNA Sec at the end of the year.
    I just bought the Lammle Self Study Guide, which is very good imo, I also use some cheatsheets and I got cisco HW at work anyway, so I am lucky that I can play around with the newest toys icon_study.gif
    Goal 2013: CCNA, CCNA Security
  • Options
    hoelscherahoelschera Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□