• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    linuxlover wrote: »
    I be armed. Got my package today. So happy. icon_cheers.gif

20130402111559.jpg

Is there a difference in his second and third edition? I have the second
  • Options
    bajekbajek Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys i think i am gonna take first route to get my CCNA. But I have one question ...
    If i take ICND1, ICND2 i will get my CCNA cert and CCENT cert right.
    So what if i take just CCNA Composite (640-802) then i dont have CCENT certification? i would have to take ICND1 in order to get it ?

because if thats right then it is the cheapest and best to take ICND1, ICND2 u also save 50$ am i correct ?
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Just obtained my first cert yesterday, Security+. Starting a new career as a Information Security Analyst in a few weeks for a fortune 100 and to be honest, I hate networking. It was kinda boring to me...But I have decided to go back and get my CCNA. "Back" you ask? Yep, see a couple of years ago, I tried the whole Cisco learning academy thing. I was killing it, Did great in Cisco Discovery 1 and 2, stopped putting the effort in and resulted to just cheating to pass the class exams. I lost my focus. I stopped looking at actually learning the material and converted to "I just need to do whatever to pass this class so I can get this stupid Associates in Networking." Which is really azz backwards because I already had a Bachelors in Management Information systems and a few years of IT experience.

Long story short, I want to go back into networking to reinforce my real interest...Which is Security, but how can you secure when you don't even know how you are being threatened/attacked? Eventually, I want to obtain my GSEC and SSCP, maybe go for CISSP down the road, but my next goal is to take CCENT in the next couple months and take CCNA before they "switch" out the exam on October 1. Ultimate goal with that is to get to the CCNA Security. Luckily I still have access to Packet Tracer which I have downloaded on a couple of my personal computers, which is a big help from buying all those damn switches and routers.
  • Options
    tftpdnldtftpdnld Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    New user here haha.. What is your personal opinion of this as a means of study:
    1. Just finished the cisco netacad courses.
    2. Follow up with Lammels book.
    3.Continue Packet Tracer labs.
    4.Research study topics on documentation section of cisco.com
    5. Various video references ranging from CBT to youtube videos.
    6.POSSIBLY purchase the Boson practice exams.

Feed back is much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    eck0wableeck0wable Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi! im new here would like to pass the ccna exam with self study with no experience. i have the book you first mentioned and packet tracer. would that be enough if i play through those?
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    eck0wable wrote: »
    hi! im new here would like to pass the ccna exam with self study with no experience. i have the book you first mentioned and packet tracer. would that be enough if i play through those?

Go through the book, practice subnetting, set up stuff on packet tracer. Search for practice questions online. You should be good.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Does anyone have any recommendation for sites with published flash card decks for Cisco (and other) cert exams?

I was playing around with online flash card makers and found www,StudyDroid.com. It has many flash card decks that people have made and are publicly available. Try searching the site with the name of a cert exam, topic, or vendor (ccna, ccnp, ceh, cissp, security, vmware etc.) and you'll see quite a few decks. Of course, the source and accuracy of this information is dubious at best, so don't regard them as original or gospel.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    JD:

Flashcardexchange has been recommended in the past.

I like what you said about "dubious" as I have caught errors even in flash cards that I make myself.

This has been my most effective way of using flash cards:
    - if I get any of the questions wrong in the book, then I make a flash card for them
    - if I do not understand one of the multiple choices in a multiple select answer, then I make a flash card for it
    - if I miss a term, then I make a flash card for it
    - if there is a configuration that I mess up, I make a flash card for it

I ended up making this many for my cisco studies (thus far):
    1,200+ for CCNA (this isn't the true total, as I had a few that I made on index cards, which I don't have any more, I still have these electronic to count.)
    1,100+ for CCNA:Security
    250+ for ROUTE
    750+ for SWITCH

I can GUARANTEE you that my flash cards have errors in them.
    They're made in cue card, but you can export the content to .CSV and import into your favorite program.

I believe the reason I gave for not sharing them before is because I copied some text in the cards word-for-word from either Todd's book or any of the other Cisco press authors, and I did not include any citations or even a reference page. I feel that sharing them would possibly bring issues of copyright infringement. (Anyone legally minded and/or who slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night want to give a non-binding opinion on the matter?)

Also, they are known to have ERRORS in them. If you know what is really going on, you laugh at the errors and continue. If you don't know, then you could be seriously misled.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    Would you say its a good idea to read 2 books at the same time?
    Say during work read Odoms book and at home read Lammles for example?
    OR would you say its better to just read one at a time?
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    It you get bored reading one then switch to reading the same subject in the other. I think you'll find that Lammle's is the more fun read.
  • Options
    kman123kman123 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    Thanks for this thread. It is really inspiring. One question I have is, how do you study/learn for the ccent using the materials you have? For example, I have the Wendell Odom book, and have started reading the first chapter on TCP/IP. But do I make notes as I am going along, or do I read it through once, then the second time of reading through I make notes, or how do people tend to learn as I am not sure what sort of method to use?

Thanks for any replies.
  • Options
    Rodzilla GRodzilla G Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think that there is any one way of studying....as everyone has different study times/habits, and processing of material faster/slower than others. I just passed my CCENT on Saturday. The most important thing I can tell you is that you do in fact have to be ready to read. Like he says.......it's not glamorous, but it's the truth. The way I approached Odom's book was to Go through all of the book, one chapter at a time. Record the chapter short quizes that I did as far as correct/incorrect answers. I also used secondary material from Video's that I purchased (Bryant CCNA material that I bought through Udemy.com(chose the material for the ICND1). Started doing practice exams, and went back over the problematic areas...by maybe re-reading the chapter or finding info within the videos that would help me understand the material even better. The most important thing while learning the material.....is in fact learning it. Knowing why something is to work or not to work. Once you have the grasp of that (trust me read the book) then you will be able to be a better engineer, and successfully pass the tests. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    kman123kman123 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rodzilla G wrote: »
    I don't think that there is any one way of studying....as everyone has different study times/habits, and processing of material faster/slower than others. I just passed my CCENT on Saturday......

Thank you for your quick reply, and congratulations on passing your test. That is exactly the sort of answer I was looking for, and seems like a really good way of approaching this exam. I will try it out and hopefully the large amount of reading will really work out in the end.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    hawandaeihawandaei Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this is a complete guide for beginners.
    thank you
  • Options
    CoolBreeze90CoolBreeze90 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    one of the best guides i've seen on the internet! really appreciate it! thanks!
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I downloaded the NetworkSims demo and it's really awesome but doesn't seem to be up to date for the new CCENT/CCNA stuff. The demo hasn't been updated since June 2012. Is the live version more up to date? We're probably going to buy it anyway since it will help some of our more advanced Cisco people but I don't want to buy a license for me if it's not going to walk me through holding my hand :).
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    vazzocvazzoc Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi i have passed ICND1 (old exam). its now September 3 2013, is it unrealistic and/or unachievable to suggest passing ICND2 before the September 30 2013 cut off date? that would give me about 15 study days. if i were to fail i would need the extra 5 days to be able to resit the same exam and hopefully pass before sep 30.. for those who have passed and studied for ICND2(old exam)... is this do able?

thanks mark
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generally: I would recommend against it for most people

However, you may have a lot of experience with equipment and/or theory. If you have the latter than the 15 day mark isn't a unrealistic thing.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    thanks for the feedback.. i'm happy to wait for the new ICND2 exam i'm just a little worried about mixing it with the old ICND1 and having a whole chunk of topics/info going missing on me with the change in curriculum
  • Options
    Don't be worried about it. You should be happy about it, because the exam will better cover more advanced topics. It'll make you much more prepared for the real world over antique information ;)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    very good point. I agree in that respect.. in some ways a blessing in disguise :).. the new exams seems like a b@ll breaker though haha
  • Options
    that's a good point. In that respect its some what a blessing in disguise. The new ICND2 looks to be a decent challenge though. tougher then the old by the looks of things..
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    One of the best things you can do before you attempt studying is not have kids! Argh! Haha.

An important fact that should be noted in the OP!!! :D (icon_cry.gif)
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One of the best things you can do before you attempt studying is not have kids! Argh! Haha.

An important fact that should be noted in the OP!!! :D (icon_cry.gif)

i agree with this HA HA, it took me longer than i wanted to be ready for this exam, had to really buckle down this year and ask the wife for some time and space to get it done.
  • Options
    dsgm wrote: »
    i agree with this HA HA, it took me longer than i wanted to be ready for this exam, had to really buckle down this year and ask the wife for some time and space to get it done.

Yeah I've done that too but when there's tea to be made, dishes to be done etc its a nightmare because we both work. It is actually quite disheartening to read about all those that managed to do 3-5 hours a day and pass within a month! Absolutely no chance of that happening I've committed about 80% and have only managed 2 out of 5 sections of Odom's book in nearly a month!
  • Options
    Jason KJason K Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I'm obviously new here so forgive me if this question might be out of place.

I am wondering if internetworkingtraining.com is a valid way to study for the CCNA exam.

From the looks of it, it's borderline brain **** territory but the site has a strict policy against it on the homepage.

What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks fishy for the simple reason that the offer zero information on their webpage. It's 2013, you can do do better than that.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Does anyone use mind maps? Odom heavily recommends them, I haven't been doing them up until now but my retainment of information isn't great and my notes are appalling so giving it a bash with opensource FreeMind.
  • Options
    Mind Maps are a little funky. I've researched them as a way to understand and retain information in the long term.

Personally: I can't draw. I do see the value of these maps, but I don't see how it could be used for these certifications. It would be great to learn the high-level information. How things work, but as far as the small countless details. I don't.

Do what you can to learn the information. Experiment. Get to know how you learn and what doesn't work. Keep in mind that the longer you work with the information, the better your chances to remember.

If someone does have a mind map, share it! Make me eat my words :)

• Options
    nekt00nekt00 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey guys.

Im looking to get my CCNA. Ive studied for the old CCNA 640-802 exam (todd lamlee CCNA 640-802 7th edition book). Since they have changed the exam now i dont know how i should go about it. Should i get a whole new CCNA 200-120 book and read through it all again? Or do you think if i just watch the new CCNA CBT nuggets videos and just revise some of the stuff coupled with doing some practice exams that it will be enough?

Thanks.