Options

Certs convalidation

bmiguel88bmiguel88 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
So i heard that after the 3 years of the CompTIA Certs you have to either re-take the exam or pass another CompTIA Exam to renew all of your other certs and keep them current. My question is, what if i take say 4 certifications between now and next year, will that extend every single one of my certifications for 3 more years after e.a. exam is passed for every new CompTIA Certification?

Also, are they automatically updated if i pass another vendor specific certification such as LPI or CCNA or are they specific to CompTIA's ?

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very little value in renewing CompTIA certs. I believe S+ renews A+ & N+, but not sure about the other way around. 4 CompTIA certs is about 2 too many.

Other vendor certs don't renew CompTIA certs.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Very little value in renewing CompTIA certs. I believe S+ renews A+ & N+, but not sure about the other way around. 4 CompTIA certs is about 2 too many.

Your half right. Since Security+ is the highest cert, when you renew it will auto renew N+ & A+. You have 3 years to document 50 CEs, no minimum per year.

By passing other certs (CCNA, MCSA, etc) will give you 50 CEs. You can find the full list of certs on the CompTIA site.

Just forward your transcript to CompTIA and you will be good for 3 years. Just pay your annual fees.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    dave330i wrote: »

The main reason people are renewing CompTIA certs these days is for 8570 compliance. Unfortunately, if you are DOD these days, you don't have much of a choice icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    According to CompTIA Continuing Education Program,

I can use either my MCTS: SQL Server 2008 (Implementation and Maintenance) or Associate of (ISC)2 for CISSP to renew my CompTIA A+ certification. Am I reading this right?

EDIT: It looks like I needed to be enrolled in the CE Program beforehand. Unfortunately, I earned my MCTS and passed my CISSP exam before the CE Program started.
    I guess I can still have it renewed when I submit my experience and endorsement for CISSP next year. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    amcnow wrote: »
    According to CompTIA Continuing Education Program,

I can use either my MCTS: SQL Server 2008 (Implementation and Maintenance) or Associate of (ISC)2 for CISSP to renew my CompTIA A+ certification. Am I reading this right?

Yes, you should be able to use either. Of course, I wouldn't recommend renewing unless you are required to by your job (especially given the fact that you have your Associate of ISC2). To keep it up to date, you have to pay the $50 a year CE dues.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For A+, I think it is only $25 per year. With that said, you're right. It's still another expense on top of my ISC2 membership (which will only increase once I earn full CISSP).

My job doesn't require it. So, I'll wait and see what the future dictates. If I find myself needing Sec+, then I'll let that renew it.

Thanks. icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.