Options

WGU TWA1 Writer's Block

Hi,
For some reason, I have had writer's block for the past few days, trying to figure out what to write my Technical Writing project on.

To those that have completed the course and / or are presently working on the course, are you using real projects or are you making up the projects?

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i used setting up a network for a small biz
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mine was based on a real project (implementing an ERP...when I first became erpadmin [in real life.])

It was really easy because part of the process involved finding real life case studies (which are widely available.) Those are the best projects to use; writing about a technology process you understand AND having relatable case studies that are available.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @CompuTron99: I understand your frustration with the writer's block. I dreaded that course, and until the time came, I didn't have a clue what I want to do. I know many alumni used projects from their works, but they had to change all names and data, so their employer's information isn't revealed. I couldn't do that since I don't have full-time experience yet. You can borrow ideas floating around the Net and attempt to create a solution. Your technical writing can be 10 pages long, but you must cover all the objectives in the rubrics.

Actually, I did have a few ideas, but those ideas were time-consuming and could take months to complete in its entirety since I lack the skills to complete the work. Then I gave up saving this project I wanted to do for my master and used it instead. It wasn't pretty, but at least I got the course done. You should check out some of the projects from the Model Capstone Archieve in the WGU Resources area to give you some ideas. Your project doesn't have to be successful and perfect. Mines was a failed project, and I noted why it failed as I had no control over it. You can also ask your mentors for some examples, but I think they got them from the archive anyways.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    i used setting up a network for a small biz

Can I ask you how complex the network was? And was it real company or hypothetical?
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Yeah, it can be rough coming up with something for that. I did mine on VMware server consolidation & p2v migration - something I do quite a bit at work. I used a "hypothetical" project that was based heavily on some real life rollouts I had performed previously. Using an actual work project would've been too much of a headache considering all the approvals I would've needed.

So, basically, I war gamed everything out, then built a (much smaller scale) model of the project in my home lab for screenshoting and documentation. I included a few of the deployment scripts I've written over the years, and the graders loved both my proposal, and my capstone when I turned it in.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Can I ask you how complex the network was? And was it real company or hypothetical?

it was a real project i did for a small multi office insurance company

the easiest way is to find projects that you have already done and do like an overview
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did a server migration from SBS 2003 to SBS2011. Used information from several different projects and created a virtual network for the screenshots and documentation also.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used a real project. dual WAN, Redundant Routers, Hyper-V server with 5 VMs with a full blown AD, Exchange and Remote Desktop services environment.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I used a made up project, however I did try and pitch the project at my job, no luck though. It was the development and implementation of a comprehensive information security policy for clients of the MSP I work for.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.