Options

A question about scheduling interviews

FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
This is a question that I have been thinking about for awhile now. How do you handle phone/in-person interviews while still working a full time job? Do you take a personal day to go to face-to-face interviews? Even handling a phone interview seems like a challenge because most people's work day end at 5pm, and I don't think doing a phone screening at my current employer is an option.

Thanks for any advice TE

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FloOz wrote: »
    Do you take a personal day to go to face-to-face interviews? Even handling a phone interview seems like a challenge because most people's work day end at 5pm, and I don't think doing a phone screening at my current employer is an option.
    Lunch breaks are a common time for such phone screens, but just after office hours (5pm - 7pm) is also usually doable, and I've been on the phone with potential employers upto 11pm. If you portrayed yourself accurately on your resume and passed a phone screen, misses during an in-person interview should be on the rare side anyway. I'd take a personal day.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Lunch breaks and personal days is how I've always done it. Stepping away for a phone screen has never been an issue for me. Just walk outside and do your thing. If you are in a job that you can't leave your desk then just ask for a few minutes to take personal call.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Lunch breaks and personal days is how I've always done it. Stepping away for a phone screen has never been an issue for me. Just walk outside and do your thing. If you are in a job that you can't leave your desk then just ask for a few minutes to take personal call.

Would that not seem a little awkward with other fellow employees around?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Step outside as in away from other people.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    If you have a flexible lunch time then you can take it in the car. Last time I scheduled for the afternoon and just did a half day.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Phone interviews: I use my break time at work.

In person interviews: I've been taking half days off but my boss knows I'm looking for a new job because I'm moving. I've seen most coworkers call in sick the day of the interview. I always felt that calling in sick was inconsiderate though. If I didn't have the option to take a half day off I just asked to switch days with someone.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lunch, it is the only thing that always works. Or at least almost always. Otherwise you have to take time off.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197

I think it’s only the person doing it thinks like that. You will do the same with a personal phone call but will not have that guilt on your face of hiding something. Just have a little confidence - people will believe what you show them!
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□

I go sit in my car when I do phone interviews at work.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah for phone interviews I do it during my lunch and usually take the day off for the in person interview. I think I might have called out once, but I try to avoid it when I can.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am actually doing this now as well. As others have mentioned I have been able to do a lot of phone calls with recruiters, etc. over my lunch break. Luckily, I have a fairly flexible schedule and I am able to flex some time. I took a long lunch and worked a little late one day and then took a half day the other time. Just have to be careful or I may drain the vacation time and have nothing to show for it! LOL
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Same boat as most here. When I was shopping I would sit in my car or stand outside during a phone interview. I would schedule a half day off when doing an interview.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.