Passed 70-685!!!

4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
Passed this morning with a score of 700. Just barely made it but I'm glad to have this out of the way. I failed it a few weeks back with a score of 663. That was definitely the most difficult test I have taken to date. They should have called it the "VPN troubleshooting exam". Seemed like I had a LOT of questions on troubleshooting VPN's and DirectAccess.

There were also a lot of questions with multiple correct answers... these are the worst kind in my opinion. Because the "best" answer is anyone's guess. It's based on opinion. So when answering these you have to put on "Microsoft Goggles" to get the correct answer.

Anyway, I recently uploaded the notes I created while preparing for the exam the second time. Let me know if you guys have any questions about it. Onto the 70-686. Should be fun icon_smile.gif
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• aj6065aj6065 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, that's awesome! I'm planning on taking the 70-686 in a couple months. Why did you decide to get both the 70-685 and 70-686? And how long did you study for the 70-685?
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    aj6065 wrote: »
    Congratulations, that's awesome! I'm planning on taking the 70-686 in a couple months. Why did you decide to get both the 70-685 and 70-686? And how long did you study for the 70-685?

Well, the 685 really concentrates on troubleshooting, while the 686 has more of a "design and theory" perspective. So the exams really show 2 different competencies. Other than that, my CIO wants me to have both. He also wants me to take the 681, which focuses on deployment, but that won't be until the beginning of next year. Afterword, I get to work on the Server 2012 certs. If you have the 686 Desktop admin, there is a one exam upgrade path to a Server 2012 Solutions Associate (MCSA). Exam 417 is the number, link below:

MCSA: Windows Server 2012 Certification

So I've got my work cut out for a while. The 685 took me around 2 months of solid studying. Also, you should check out my notes for review before the exam: My Notes

Materials Used:
    Gibson book
    MS Press book
    CBT Nuggets
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• aj6065aj6065 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    4_lom wrote: »
    If you have the 686 Desktop admin, there is a one exam upgrade path to a Server 2012 Solutions Associate (MCSA). Exam 417 is the number, link below:
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 Certification

Yep, this is why I have decided to go with the 70-686 instead of the 70-685.

I noticed you uploaded your notes, but I haven't had a chance to look them over yet. I appreciate it, and I'm sure everyone else does too. I saw you used Gibson's book... is it his Portable Command Guide one? I used that one for the 680 and loved it. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's nearly the same amount of training material for the 685/686 tests as there is for the 680.
  • al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    Congrats & good luck on your next exam!!!
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Could you use 70-685 notes to study for the 70-686 exam? Not sure myself
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your MCSA : Windows 7 ( here )
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    4_lom

I had similar experience on my 685 exam yesterday and got a 586 score.

What strategy / materials did you use diferently to get a passing score.

Was it just concentrating on weaker topics and / or different study materials?

I am using Transcenders, Darril Gibson book, MS Press book and these did not cover some of the troubleshooting questions that came up on the exam.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    Well done! I may look to do the 686 at some point. Good luck!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's great 2 exams to get the MCSA Windows 7