Options

Where to go from here

huafisthuafist Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Now that I passed my CCNA, I'm looking forward and trying to decide my next path. I'm thinking 3 different ways:

1) CCNA Security
2) CCNP
3) MCITP - Enterprise Administrator

I'm kinda thinking of doing the MCITP exams next, as I do have a decent size MS AD network that I administrate daily. I also, however, don't want my Cisco path to fall by the wayside. Suggestions guys?

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would get certifications I work with currently.

You don't have to let cisco fall to the wayside. Just look after your notes. once per week. If you forget about the material, then you probably shouldn't say you have a CCNA certification :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I would get certifications I work with currently.

You don't have to let cisco fall to the wayside. Just look after your notes. once per week. If you forget about the material, then you probably shouldn't say you have a CCNA certification :P

I didn't really mean "forget" - I guess I should've said "stall" - I want to keep moving forward with it - I may alternate between them as I go actually.
  • Options
    As long as you keep refreshing the knowledge you already have, revisiting the new material later won't hurt. I dare say it might help - because you've given time to absorb the information for the long term.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    As long as you keep refreshing the knowledge you already have, revisiting the new material later won't hurt. I dare say it might help - because you've given time to absorb the information for the long term.

The way I see it is, just like the CCNA, I've been doing this stuff for YEARS already. I designed and implemented our Server 2008 setup several years ago, so I'd like to think I already have a decent base to start off of. However, having the certs will make me more desirable to other employers in the future, should I decide to look at other opportunities.

I guess my biggest question right now is whether or not the MS certs are worth anything, or are they considered by employers to be on the same level as an A+ cert haha.
  • Options
    Well, you could go the CCNP route. I'd skip Security, if you have the experience. I don't, so I'm trying to pickup certifications and get some wide-eyed viewpoints of how things are done.

• Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I'm also on the fence about where to go next =/

I have a lot of certs lined up that i want to do. Just don't know which to go at first~
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In your case based on what you said i would follow the MS path but still do my Cisco revision in between.Don't forget subnetting as well. Maybe even look at CCNP material a bit but focus mainly on MS.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    Dear friend,

in my case cert choices are always based on current and future career shaping & development. I mean never drift too far from your working experience, but steadily steer education towards your desired job perspective in order to qualify for its requirements.

Eg.

Assume John Doe aged 22 IT Engineer
    Is Now Systems Engineer ==> MS certs are useful and rewarding and sometimes required by employers, RedHat if he's into Linux.
    After 5 years wishes to distinguish himself and also offer n/w security services to possible clients/employers ==> Can go after Sec+, SSCP, CCNP/CCIE Security etc.
    After another 5y he gained business and management skills and new job requirements or career opportunities now lie in the field of Information Security Administration/Auditing/Management ==> CISA/CISM, CISSP, ISO 27001 are some choices/requirements.
    On making these cert choices this John has had InfoSec always in mind either by choice for future career shaping or brought to him on-demand by shifting job requirements (often based on age, experience and professional maturity and often are pure luck or twists of fate) in his current workplace.
    This I believe can apply for almost every other John I know of and any other IT cert choices one makes along the way whether Network, Security, Voice, Systems, Auditing, IT-Management etc.

Best Regards and hope you make the most of your certs!!!"Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts