Options

RRAS - VPN Server

DSEDMDSEDM Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am having grief with connecting to my VPN server and have a hunch one of the gang here will be able to point me in the right direction.

I can connect to the RRAS from my XP Pro client if I just use PPTP but when I try to connect using L2TP I am asked for a certificate.

I thought I had the correct certificates installed ...but I guess not.

Does anyone have a link as to where I may research this ?

I know the problem is with the security and certificates but how do I correct this icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    I have it figured .... I did not have the RAS server setup correctly.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    DSEDM wrote:
    I have it figured .... I did not have the RAS server setup correctly.
    What did you do to fix it?
  • Options
    Opened up my RAS server.

Selected properties on the RAS server.

Clicked on Security tab ... selected the Allow custom IPSec policy for L2TP connection ... then entered the Pre Shared Key.

Then went back to my client and configured the IPSec setting with the same key.

It works :D

Just as a test I captured some of the packets with Network Monitor and yes the encryption is indeed in place.

Now keep in mind that I am on a learning curve here so this may not be recommended procedure.

I will try a few various tests and see if I am headed in the right direction.
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    Your L2TP/IpSec is working now, but it is not working due to certificates or PKI. Are you trying to get your L2TP to use certificates for authentication or just messing around with L2TP VPN's to see it working?
  • Options
    I am after both objectives that you mentioned.

When I entered the pre-shared key ... I entered the same name as what I gave one of the certifictaes that I created.

I have just tried changing the key at both ends to --> 12345

I can still make the VPN connection... so yes you are right ... I am not using a certificate. Back to the drawing board I guess.

I am not familiar with this, so am going by trial and error coupled with words of wisdom from folks like yourself :D

Thanks for your feedback.
  • Options
    I will have to do some more research on this.

Thanks for the feedback.